General forum:

Back    All discussions

2009-01-30
LaTeX or format for symbolic logic?
Hello,

I was wondering whether these forums have incorporated any standardized tools for mathematical notation--or at the very least, for logical operators like the universal and existential quantifiers--beyond manually fiddling with Unicode characters? If so, could someone point me in the right direction as to how it's done?

And if there isn't such a thing yet, would it be possible to add a feature like that? I believe LaTeX support can be added fairly easily to forums, although that might be only so for boards based off popular packages like phpBB. Or. a simple alternative might be to add a little box at the top of posts which allows the selection and insertion of common symbols. Seems like this sort of thing should be valuable for philosophy-based forums.

Thanks
N

2009-01-30
Reply to Nathan Holmes
Hi Nathan, thanks for the suggestion. We don't have special facilities in place at the moment. We could allow latex input as you suggest. There is a perl package we could use to convert latex to html, or at least the subset of latex we would need. In fact I've used it to prepare a (still unfinished) bibtex importer.

But first I would like to have a better sense of how useful that would be. There is also the possibility of writing a post in latex and then pasting the result into the message box--it's not as if it won't accept extended characters. We will definitely implement one of your suggestions or something similar in the future; the question is when, as there is a growing backlog of changes to make.

Anyone, if you want latex input, raise your hand.

2009-02-01
Reply to David Bourget
From experience of the logic-y blogs, having a simple way to use LaTeX commands is really useful (and popular). I'm thinking of the kind of thing you can use in WordPress posts and comments. I'm afraid I have zero knowledge of even what the choices are for implementing this on a site like this. But consider this a raised hand!

By the way---this is a fab resource. Thanks so much to all involved in creating it.