General forum:

Back    All discussions

2009-02-06
Feminist philosophy?
I just submitted a paper in feminist philosophy of science.  It took me a while to sort out where I could find that designation but I ultimately did and that was great (though not completely intuitive - still, I did find it).  While I was doing this it occurred to me that it would be nice to just be able to look in a broader category of feminist philosophy.  I poked around trying to see if there was such a category and didn't see it.  Most feminist philosophy fits into other areas of philosophy as a sub-area or topic, but it also could be grouped together as a category of its own.  Looking at the categories so far, I am thinking that it might fit under Philosophical Traditions.

2009-02-07
Feminist philosophy?
Hi Sharon,

We certainly have an category for feminist philosophy, which you can find here.  Philosophy of Gender, Race, and Sexuality is one of the major areas in the taxonomy, under Value Theory.  Feminist philosophy is one of the five main categories within philosophy of gender, race, and sexuality.  There's also the beginnings of a subtaxonomy for feminist philosophy (with crosslinks to categories elsewhere such as feminist philosophy of science), although of course this is highly preliminary.  Any input about what should go there is welcome.

To find a category without having to click around the whole structure, you can try entering the relevant text in the search box at the top.  If there are any matches, they'll be listed in a shaded box at the top of the search results.  There is also a special category search tool, available near the top of every category page (with text saying "jump to") and also by pressing "categorize" under any entry.  This tool will give you a dynamic list of categories matching any text that you enter.

2009-02-07
Feminist philosophy?
Thanks David.

I couldn't find feminism by clicking through but the search method that you suggest reveals categories, subcategories, and so on.  I do think that because I came at it from the philosophy of science angle it was less intuitive for me.  I am puzzling over whether I think Value Theory is an appropriate main category, though not sure that it is not.  I certainly will offer further suggestions if they come to me and encourage others that work in the field to look it over as well.

Sharon

2009-04-21
Feminist philosophy?
I just want to echo Prof. Crasnow's concerns with categorization here. It doesn't seem at all intuitive to me to categorize feminist work on, say, the sex/gender distinction under "Value Theory." It's not clear what a better alternative would be (indeed I think there's probably a lot of disagreement among feminist philosophers about what unifies the field), but I also think "Philosophical Traditions" would be fruitful. If nothing else, it's an issue worth flagging and thinking more about. 

2010-02-28
Feminist philosophy?
I also find this non-intuitive. Perhaps the problem for me is this: I don't think of feminist philosophy as falling under "Philosophy of Gender, Race, and Sexuality" even though there will obviously be overlap. I'd actually find it more intuitive if feminist philosophy was listed under "Philosophical Traditions" as a way of doing philosophy rather than as philosophy about particular subject matter. Does feminist epistemology or feminist philosophy of mind belong in value theory?

2010-03-01
Feminist philosophy?
Reply to Clea F. Rees
Thanks for the thoughts here.  The issues are tricky, especially because feminist philosophy is a large and varied area.  I take it that gender plays an important role in most (all?) feminist philosophy, but that not all of it is primarily philosophy of gender.  At the moment we handle that issue by crosslisting: for example, feminist epistemology is also listed under epistemology, and so on.  Likewise, perhaps it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that value plays an important role in most (all?) feminist philosophy, but the classification under value theory is a better fit in some cases than others.  As in other cases of categorization, though, a perfect solution isn't easy to find.

Crosslisting the whole area of feminist philosophy under philosophical traditions (as well as under value theory) is a possibility.  As things stand it is slightly tricky, as all the other traditions are quasi-geographical, and presumably if we include one non-geographical tradition we should include others as well.  But this is something we will think about.