Back    All discussions

2009-02-10
Imagination Category Question
First: this project is great and I'm glad it's available now. I'd like to do what I can to help out (namely, categorizing).

On that note, what is the intended difference between the subcategories of Imagination: "Imagination and Imagery" and "Visual Imagery and Imagination"?

If possible, could there be some examples of which articles would go into one but not the other, and vice versa?

Thanks!

2009-02-10
Imagination Category Question
Reply to Shen-yi Liao
"Visual Imagery and Imagination" is primarily a subcategory of "Science of Visual Consciousness" under "Science of Consciousness".  "Imagery and Imagination" is primarily a subcategory of "Imagination" under "Philosophy of Mind".  Basically, scientific articles should go under the former, philosophy articles under the latter.  Obviously this isn't transparent from the names.  The "science of consciousness" category is necessary in order for PhilPapers to cover everything covered in MindPapers, but it does create a few cases of overlap like this.  We'll probably change the former to something like "Science of Imagery and Imagination" to make it clearer.