General forum:

Back    All discussions

2009-12-09
Is it possible to ask the survey team for further correlations/regressions?
Suppose one wants to investigate the relationship between various positions and their coherence, but he cannot do it by the selection filters available online. E. g., he wonders about the relative number of non-physicalist, libertarian atheists. Can he ask the team for the table? Do you plan to add more selection filters online?

2009-12-09
Yes, we will be adding more results of this sort.  As the results page (and our discussion of results) suggests, within the next month or two we will add data on interquestion correlations and various other effects.  I don't know whether we will release data on three-way interactions among the main questions, but we'll see.  We will eventually release a near-full data set to a limited number of researchers who want to perform studies using it, but that won't be for a while yet.

In the meantime, if people would like to see certain sorts of data released, feel free to put in a request here.

2009-12-09
Hi Dave,

One small idea for filtering/presentation. It'd be nice to have a "medium grain" with just 4 or 5 data points for each question, rather than 12 (as at present, I think). It's hard to get an overview of the result with that many figures floating before my eyes---and the coarse grain, which doesn't have this issue, seems a bit too coarse, in that it conflates (say) agnostics with people with insufficient info to answer. The obvious idea is to "cluster" different types of "other" responses. For example, it seems to me that unfamiliarity with question, skipping over, or saying it's unclear, are of one kind; and endorsing alternatives (in whatever form), or being agnostic, is a different kind of response.

It's really fascinating. Thanks to all involved in setting it up!

cheers
Robbie

2009-12-09
I would like to see whether my suspicion that Australian philosophy differs from the rest of the analytic tradition in various ways is borne out by the responses. That's by way of a call for filtering by nationality.

2009-12-14
Thanks.

-- It would be really great to have the possibility to generate 3+-way sortings on this site.

-- So far, two sets of filter options are available: Population and AOS. I guess many people, including myself, would love to see Tradition (analytical, continental, both, ...) added. Also Nationality would be nice. And Primary AOS, too.

-- Where one can ask for the the near-full data set?

-- How many researchers will receive it, and under what conditions?

Thanks again.

2009-12-14
We'll add chronological, geographical, and gender filters in January, possibly along with some others.  I'm not sure whether we'll release 3-way filters -- at a certain point there are privacy issues (e.g. search for results from Australian philosophers of mind born in the 1960s).  We can mitigate those by having a minimum population (e.g. 5) required to report results, but even so the issues are tricky (e.g. there are issues with small populations where the results are uniform in various respects).

We haven't yet decided on a full policy on making the data set available to other researchers.  We'll have a crack at the data first and figure this out later.  I take it that we've already released much more data than would be common at this early stage.

2009-12-16
Thanks.

In case you will not add them as online filters, I'd like to ask here and already now for results of all replies of the survey as sorted by these categories:
-- God: atheists, theists, agnostics
-- Metaphilosophy: naturalists, non-naturalists
-- Meta-ethics: moral realists, moral anti-realists
-- Epistemic justification: internalists, externalists

Such results could be included in the final report about the survey.

I am curious about these 2-way relations:
-- the relation of the issue of God to all the other three issues mentioned above
-- the relation of metaphilosophy and meta-ethics

These could be included in the final report, too. I believe they are interesting and relevant, even for those whose AOS is not philosophy of religion.

2009-12-16
And I guess everyone would like the see the results of all replies of the survey as sorted by Tradition (analytical, continental).