General forum:

Back    All discussions

2009-12-09
Graduate students vs. faculty
It's interesting to compare results among faculty and graduate students.  Where target faculty as a whole favor Platonism, aesthetic objectivism, two-boxing, deontology, and Millianism, graduate students favor nominalism, aesthetic subjectivism, one-boxing, virtue ethics, and Fregeanism.

Also, in most cases where there are views with large majorities among target faculty, those views have somewhat reduced majorities among graduate students: e.g. compatibilism, non-skeptical realism, analytic-synthetic distinction, atheism, non-Humeanism, classical logic, content externalism, moral realism, moral cognitivism, egalitarianism, scientific realism, and trolley switching.

Where compared to the faculty/PhD group as a whole (instead of to target faculty), graduate students' results are somewhat closer, because majority views among target faculty typically have reduced majorities among non-target faculty.  But the majorities are still reduced among graduate students compared to this group.

Most of the results in the first paragraph stand up when comparing graduate students to all faculty/PhDs.  Exceptions: the full faculty/PhD group (unlike target faculty) favors nominalism but by much less than graduate students, and favors consequentialism in a fairly close result.  The differing results regarding aesthetic subjectivism, one-boxing, and Fregeanism are as before.

Explanations?

2009-12-09
Have you tried correcting for age?  That is, it is an age result or a prestige-in-the-profession result?

2009-12-12
Likely due to the inbred and entitled nature of your target group, views like Platonism, aesthetic objectivism, and Millianism seem matter of fact.  So, I suppose it may have something to do with "prestige."

2009-12-13
Interesting. Is there a page where we can see the entire "primary roll" (I assume that's what was used) breakdown, or did you get these statistics from having part in running the poll?

As for an explanation, the amount of experience one has in the field will have a indirect relationship to one's poll results through any number of routes (given the number of participants), of which some are more common among participants, where each route leads to a particular conclusion--and some to the same conclusion. The commonalities in participants' routes lead them to common conclusions. 

Though I have a feeling that's not what you meant by explanation? 

p.s. I am new to this site and must say it's awesome!

2009-12-14
Whatever the explanation, it is nice to see that the future is not full of Platonists.

2009-12-14
Possible explanation for the aesthetic objectivism versus aesthetic subjectivism difference:
Graduate students are in the process of having their youthful subjectivist tendencies beaten out of them by their committee members, and aesthetic subjectivism is one of the last subjectivist strongholds - it too shall die with indoctrination!

In all seriousness, I think such statistical differences can hardly be pinned down to any specific explanation, such that one would be completely justified in making light of any explanatory attempt at explaining such differences (particularly if they aren't statistically significant). Without mention of the statistical breakdown here, it is hard to say whether or not any of these differences deserves justification. If one were to present some elaborate explanation for the difference between graduate students favoring aesthetic subjectivism and faculty favoring aesthetic objectivism only to find out the difference was, say 55-45 in favor of subjectivism, respectively, then one would have wasted their time - such a small statistical difference could be explained by any of a thousand different variables.