Back    All discussions

2010-03-22
Martial Gueroult
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone knows of an English translation of Gueroult's volumes on Spinoza. My present solution to being unable to read these volumes is to learn French, which is not so bad, but requires substantially more effort than reading Gueroult in translation.

Thanks!
Evan Roane

2010-04-02
Martial Gueroult
Reply to Evan Roane
Hi Evan,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I looked into this rather recently and could not find an English translation.  The only exception is a fragment of Gueroult's commentary on Letter 12, published in Spinoza. A collection of critical Essays, edited by Marjorie Grene, New York: Anchor Books, 1973.  A lot of French work on Spinoza has not been translated into English---for example, there is no translation of Matheron's writings that I know of, either.

Best of luck, and if you do find a translation, be sure to post your findings here!

John Grey

2010-04-05
Martial Gueroult
Hi John and Evan

I concur - can't think of any Gueroult in English. One or two of Matheron's classic papers on Spinoza are translated though; one in a volume on Spinoza ed. by Yovel if I'm not mistaken, and another perhaps in Nails ed., Spinoza and the sciences, unless I'm confusing it with above collection (for some reason it sticks in my mind that it's translated by David Lachterman). The latter one is something to do with Euclid.

Gueroult on Descartes is of course translated by Ariew.

best
Charles

2010-04-12
Martial Gueroult
Reply to Evan Roane

2010-04-19
Martial Gueroult
Reply to Evan Roane
i know of three articles of Matheron in English:

Alexandre Matheron, “Spinoza and Sexuality,” Moira Gatens, ed., Feminist Interpretations of Benedict Spinoza (University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press, 2009), 87-106.

Alexandre Matheron, “Spinoza and Euclidean Arithmetic: The Example of the Fourth Proportional,” Marjorie Grene and Deborah Nails, eds,. <?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" />Spinoza and the Sciences (Dordrecht and Boston: Reidel, 1986), pp. 95-124.f.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Alexandre Matheron, “The Theoretical Function of Democracy in Spinoza and Hobbes,” trans. by Ted Stolze, in Warren Montag et Ted Stolze, eds,. The New Spinoza, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, 1997, 207-216, reprinted in Genevieve Lloyd (ed.) : Spinoza. Critical assessments, Routledge, London-New York, 2001, vol. IV, pp. 112-120.

2014-08-31
Martial Gueroult
Reply to Evan Roane
Hello, As far as I know there are currently no English translations of Gueroult's Spinoza volumes, but there was an appeal a few years ago at a large Spinoza conference at Birkbeck College, London for someone to start working on such a thing. You might inquire further with Beth Lord, Susan James, and related to see if there were any follow-ups with that suggestion after the 2009 conference.