Back    All discussions

2010-07-07
Contributors needed in a perceptual experiment
I recently proposed a phenomenological experiment on music perception that is a follow up of a theorical article written with my friend Jerome Palfi, a mathematician. Unfortunately I did not find enough people to participate among acquaintances. Therefore I would be glad if readers of Philpapers that are interessed by aesthetics, or philosophy of music, could give some of their time to take part in this experiment.

One can find the paper at my home page under the title "A phenomenological experiment with Arnold Schoenberg". The idea is to establish wether or not a certain mathematical grouping of dodecaphonic series is settled on perceptual grounds.

I think that not more than one hour of listening should be enough to experiment, plus maybe half an hour for the presentation reading. No special knowledge of any kind is required.

Results, posted as comments here, should be of interest for musicians and philosophers. As the data to discriminate is presented by columns, the general forms of results for this experiment could look like:

• samples in column x share the property of sounding so and so;  or:
  • from left to right samples seem to increase the property of sounding so and so,
    - in each row,or :
    - in row y particularly; or:
  • there seems to be no perceptual evidence in these sets, they sound like randomness; or
  • any other way of expressing one's feelings about these samples.

For the most sensitive of us, columns are themselves separated in two subsets - top and bottom - which could (perhaps) lead to further refinement of musical evaluation. It might be a good idea to beggin by considering only the bottom of columns (in darker shades), which do not include special samples.

Any other type of comment or criticism mostly welcome too.

Sincerely yours