General forum:

Back    All discussions

2011-03-17
Self-Consciousness
Hi,

I've just started up as editor for the Self-Consciousness leaf and, before I really get started, thought I'd ask for advice on how the category should be structured. In particular, I note that there are already two categories - 'Self-Consciousness in Psychology' and 'Animal Self-Consciousness'  (both falling under Philosophy of Cognitive Science) - that cover some very closely related ground. My question is what ought the relationship be between these and the general Self-Consciousness category (falling under Philosophy of Mind)? My own preference would be for these two to sub-categories of Self-Consciousness (is it possible to do this whilst also keeping them in Philosophy of Cog Sci?). It seems to me that there is also scope for some further sub-categories within Self-Consciousness, e.g. Self-consciousness and agency, apperception, Immunity to error through misidentification, etc.

Any help greatly appreciated

Best, Joel

2011-03-18
Self-Consciousness
Reply to Joel Smith
Hi Joel,

Thanks for coming on board.  Usually editors email me directly about developing the category structure.  But since you've posted here: yes, those two self-consciousness categories can certainly be listed as secondary subcategories of self-consciousness.  We can also list self-knowledge that way.  It would be natural to have an immunity-to-error-through-identification somewhere -- not sure whether self-consciousness or self-knowledge is the best primary home, but it can be secondarily listed under the other in any case.  Drop me a note if you have thoughts about further categories to add.  It probably makes sense to do that in light of looking at what's already in the category, as we aim to have a minimum of 10-15 entries per category.

2011-03-18
Self-Consciousness
Reply to Joel Smith
Thanks, I'll take a closer look and get back to you. J