General forum:

Back    All discussions

2011-03-28
Suggestion: Tags for University Affiliation
I would like to suggest an additional method of categorization for the papers on this archive: every paper can be tagged with a university affiliation i.e. the university to which the author was affiliated at the time of publication.

If this happens, users can be presented with a list of universities such that clicking on a particular university gives a list of papers published from that university, grouped by author. So, for example, I could click on "University of Pittsburgh" and see a list of papers published from UPitt, grouped by author. Then, I could compare this list, side by side, with a list of papers published from UPitt's neighbour, Carnegie Mellon University, and note the radical differences in style, content, method, etc, etc.

At a higher level, universities could be grouped under higher levels of categorization - by country, for example. Then I would be able to compare, side by side, philosophical papers published by American authors vs. philosophical papers published by German authors (of course, our view would naturally be limited since we would only be looking at English language papers but perhaps in future, we will have multi-lingual databases).

At any rate, the idea occurred to me because I was interested to know what kind of philosophy is going on India today. Particularly, I wanted to know to what extent analytic philosophy has had an influence over there. I think there is currently only one Indian journal of philosophy that is being monitored by PhilPapers. Aside from this, however, there may be many professors of philosophy in India who are publishing their papers in American, British and Australian journals of philosophy. These kinds of facts could be easily uncovered by implementing the method of categorization that I am suggesting (tags for university affiliation).

What do other people think about such categorization?

2011-03-31
Suggestion: Tags for University Affiliation
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree this would be useful, for the purpose you state and others (e.g. to embed such lists on departmental web sites, or to help compile reports for administrative purposes, etc). I'm adding this to the TODO list.