Back    All discussions

2012-10-04
Causative constructions
I am a graduate student at the University of Ghana, West Africa. I am currently undertaking a study on Causative constructions in Ewe, a Kwa language from the Niger-Congo family and using Cognitive Linguistics as a theoretical framework. I find it very difficult to establish a link between the theory and the work. Can I have advice how I can use the theory to analyze causative constructions in the language and achieve my research objectives?

2012-11-12
Causative constructions
Dear Phillips Larnyo, I have proposed a framework to analyse such constructions based on Cognitive Linguistics. The framework is called Constructive Adpositional Grammars. You can check it out here:
http://federicogobbo.name/cxadgrams.html

Consider, that the framework is not well known, and I am not a leader in the Cognitive Linguistic community. Take care,
Federico

2012-11-12
Causative constructions
Instead of worrying about "establish[ing] a link between the theory and the work", it might be more productive to studying the situations and circumstances in which Ewe speaks actually utter causative constructions and then try generalizing from those situations and circumstances.