Back   

2013-02-24
Fading Qualia

Is this an answer to Chalmers’s fading qualia thought experiment?  (2110, The Character of Consciousness, Oxford University Press p. 25 ff).
He puts forward a principle of organizational invariance: “This principle states that any two systems with the same fine-grained functional organization will have qualitatively identical experiences. If the causal patterns of neural organization were duplicated in silicon, for example, with a silicon chip for every neuron and the same patterns of interaction, then the same experiences would arise. According to this principle, what matters for the emergence of experience is not the specific physical makeup of a system but the abstract pattern of causal interaction between its components.” He supports this principle by the use of thought experiments about “fading”  qualias. The analysis, claiming to show that the contrary position would be absurd, is based on the fact that the creature whose causal patterns in its cognitive system are identical to those of a conscious person, but whose neurons are gradually replaced by silicon chips, will continue to make statements about his experiences which are identical to those of the conscious person, though his experiences will become different if he gradually loses consciousness as the replacements takes place. He imagines a case where Joe experiences faded pink where I see bright red, with many distinctions between shades of my experience no longer present in shades of his experience. Joe says that he is having bright red experiences, but he is merely experiencing tepid pink He is systematically wrong about everything that he is experiencing.  But in every case with which we are familiar, conscious beings are generally capable of forming accurate judgments about their experience.
The answer is that as the neurons are gradually replaced by silicon chips Joe's brain events – neural representations – responding to events will be the same as mine and so will trigger the utterance of the same words of description. But the words will not, for Joe, mean what the  identical words mean for me. What the words will mean for Joe will depend on what neurons, as opposed to chips, remain,  resulting in different conscious experiences from mine. What he says will not be wrong for him. He uses the word "red" because his neural representations are the same as mine. But the meaning of the word “red”, uttered by Joe when he sees a relevant object, is for him determined by reference to the conscious experiences which he has, which are different from my experiences, and so for him the word has a different meaning.  (Nor would Joe remember that “red” had a different meaning for him in the past, because his relevant memory brain events would be the same as his present ones in seeing the object.)
When all Joe’s neurons have been replaced by chips, so he has become totally unconscious, a zombie or robot, his brain events – neural representations – responding to seeing a red object will still be the same as mine, and so will trigger the utterance of the same word of description, “red”. His words will  not, for him, have any meaning.

2013-03-02
Fading Qualia
Dear Anthony,I think your argument is good as far as it goes, but one can go further.

The bare positivist response could be that there is no fact of the matter what Joe's sense of red is like because we cannot measure it. I think we can be more generous. That would be a bit like saying that there is no fact of the matter what time it is for Major Tom in his spaceship travelling at 0.999c. What we may be able to say is that there is no fact of the matter about whether Joe's red is 'faded' in any sense 'in comparison to ours' since there is no such thing as such a comparison. There is no rigorous physics analogy here but I think there is a reasonable argument that effectively follows yours. Joe will say that his red is no way faded in comparison to his memory of the bright red years ago because the memory of bright red will be fed in just the same way as the view of the tomato.

But there is an elephant in this room - namely 'Joe". When we just have one cell left amongst the silicon chips what is this 'Joe' other than the cell, if only cells have experience? It seems a bit like the inscription on the legs of Ozymandius. All that is necessary and sufficient for this sense of red is the last cell and the signals it receives. In what way is 'Joe' qua subject anything more than the cell? My thought is that there is no 'Joe' other than the cells. 'Being Joe' is a story told to these cells. The continuity of 'Joe' is merely the continuity of the story, as Locke suggested. If each cell has a sense of being Joe seeing red then there never was a fading problem. As each cell is replaced the story is heard in one less place. This is all perfectly reasonable neurobiologically, so I am unclear why philosophers should be puzzled by it. I have been quite happy with it for ten years now.

Best wishes

Jo Edwards

P.S. I think there may also be an interesting argument about the possibility of replacement. If nerve cells use a form of computation quite different from that of chips - and this does not need to be at a quantum level of description, there are real number-based options - then there may be no chip with the fine grained function needed. The grain for POI to work at may be very fussy.

2013-03-05
Fading Qualia
You say "... the conscious experiences which he has, which are different from my experiences ...."

It is impossible to compare two persons' conscious experiences, because each person's conscious experience is available only to that person himself or herself, not to anyone else.  We can compare the brain events of two different persons because we can access them and measure them (via PET scans or fMRI or whatever) in the same way.  They are, given suitable instrumentation, publicly observable.  But we cannot observe anyone else's experience.  So the phrase quoted, while apparently plausible, is actually meaningless and misleading.

--
Bill Meacham, author of How To Be An Excellent Human, http://www.bmeacham.com.

2013-03-09
Fading Qualia

I wanted to note, that according to research made, a red color would be subjectively different

not only for me and another person, but also for myself today and myself in the past.

Our memory cannot completely be trusted and there will always be a difference between

the initial experience, and what we remember of it, even if the difference is infinitesimal.

2013-03-09
Fading Qualia

Dear Jo,

Thanks for your comments.

As to the elephant in the room, I am not sure that “being Joe” depends on there being cells or neurons and experiences. When all Joe’s neurons have been replaced by chips, there could still be brain events – neural representations – of  “Joe seeing a red tomato”, which would lead  the ‘zombie’ to say “I am Joe seeing a red tomato”, though the words would have no meaning for him.

I think there would be a fading, or some sort of change, in the conscious experience as the neurons involved in seeing are replaced by chips, because I think that experiences are the subjective versions of neual events. But of course this does not in my view lead to the absurdity claimed by Chalmers.

I would not agree that each cell has a sense of being Joe seeing red. Joe’s knowing that he sees red involves only the neurons which are the neural representations that he is seeing red.

Best wishes.

Anthony

2013-03-09
Fading Qualia
Reply to Bill Meacham

The thought experiment with which my argument is dealing takes it that  Joe’s conscious experiences are different from mine: “many shades of my experience no longer present in shades of his experience.”  Indeed that is the basis of the thought experiment. Joe experiences tepid pink when I experience red. It is in this sense that I say that Joe’s experiences are different from mine. Surely one can compare two persons’ conscious experiences to this extent?

2013-03-09
Fading Qualia

Although it is true that my conscious experience cannot be compared to yours, because

there is no way I can objectively know your conscious experience, it has also been

proven that not even I myself can know completely my conscious experience because

memory changes instant by instant, and if yesterday I told you my conscious experience,

and I tell it to you today, it will already be different.

2013-03-14
Fading Qualia
Dear Anthony,That was my point; 'being Joe' is just a narrative which in a normal Joe is sensed as being me somewhere in the brain and in a zombie Joe just goes through like in a photocopier - out the other side. My point is that the idea that there is, in hard ontological terms, a 'Joe' that sees or senses red, other than whatever it is in the brain that has access to the relevant signals, is a mirage.

So if we look at what is actually happening in the brain of a normal, semi-zombie, all-but-one-cell-zombie and zombie Joe there is no reason to think there would be any fading. If whatever receives the signals, or has access to the signals that encode red is a bioneuron (note that nothing in a brain other than neurons have access to anything - a point that neuroscientists often seem to forget as well as philosophers) then it should get good solid red because it will get the same set of signals even if some of these are from chips. If it is a siliconeuron then it will also get the full monty of signals but just not notice. There is no model remotely consistent with neuroscience in which anything would be 'faded' because nothing is deprived of the full set of signals. You might then say but hang on I thought representations were made up of lots of neurons firing. But how could they be? Nothing has access to lots of neurons firing in separate places so nothing can experience them or be phenomenally conscious of them. To have access and experience you have to GET A SIGNAL and the only things that get signals in brains are individual neurons. At least Dan Dennett is right about this bit ACCESS=PHENOMENALITY wherever it is that that matters. The only problem is that he denies there is anywhere and shoots his own argument in the foot.

I realise that not many people point out this awkward little problem, but a lot more people were worried about it in 1900, to the extent that when Ramon y Cajal showed that cells are not even joined up there was consternation. And people had worried about it for two hundred years before. The problem now is that people have taken there eye off the ball because to write grant applications you have to sound as if you know what the answer might be and if you don't you don't get the grant! It's more of a mammoth in the room really.

Best wishes

Jo 

2013-03-14
Fading Qualia

Dina,

I think that the differences in conscious experiences to which you refer occur because of equivalent differences in the brain events with which they are associated.  In the thought experiment the brain events are the same, but the conscious experiences are different because some of the neurons have been replaced by silicon chips.

The relevance of the question is to do with Chalmers’s thought experiment to support his principle that any two systems with the same fine-grained functional organization will have qualitatively identical experiences.  My argument is that the thought experiment does not support that. 

2013-03-18
Fading Qualia

Dear Jo

The way I see it is this: in terms of the thought experiment, even though the neurons are partly or wholly replaced by chips the same brain events will occur. As you say, it should get good solid red because it will get the same set of signals. But if it is the case that only neurons in the brain of  an organic creature (and then only neurons involved in sensory perceptions or bodily feelings or images of those) can have associated conscious experiences, then the subjective experiences of Joe would diminish – fading qualias – as neurons are replaced by chips, even though the same objective brain events occur. Even though the brain is “getting good solid red,” it will gradually, in terms of the thought experiment, not continue to experience good solid red.

You explain that the only things that get signals in brains are individual neurons. But cannot those individual neurons cause effects in other neurons, so that, perhaps with effects caused by yet other neurons,  neural representations arise?  But I do not think this is relevant to  my argument.

Best wishes.

Anthony

2013-03-18
Fading Qualia
"To have access and experience you have to GET A SIGNAL..." I would rather say: "to have access and experience you have to GET OUTSIDE". But before that, you would have to make the outside. If neurons are involved in outside-making? I just don't know. But if they were, then what about siliconneurons. Would it be possible in this case to concive of any analogy between neurons and siliconneurons? No, not at all.

2013-03-18
Fading Qualia
Hi -

I have to say I am astonished at the mileage this ill-thought-out thought experiment has enjoyed! It simply doesn't work. Spot the mistake:

1. Fred is a fully-human being who enjoys vivid colour experiences (qualia).
2. Joe is a transitional being composed partly of silicon
3. It must (a priori?) be possible for Joe to retain Fred's functional profile (re reporting of qualia).
4. Why?
5. Because functional profile can be fully determined irrespective of (before we know about) the qualia present.
6. Therefore it must be possible for Joe to report qualia he doesn't experience.

And then on to Reductio ad Absurdum.

The unwarranted assumption is in 5.

If reporting qualia really is a reliable indicator of qualia being present, because it is the qualia that cause the reporting, then 3 is just false, because 5 is unsupported.

2013-03-24
Fading Qualia
Dear Anthony,I sense a glimmer of hope that you may be in a position to see what I am driving at, in a while. I apologise for maybe sounding patronising but I find myself in a strange situation. Together with one other living person, the neurologist Steven Sevush, I find it blindingly obvious that current discussion of experiences as belonging to a 'whole person' or even 'brain' makes no scientific sense. Yet everyone else seems happy that it could. There are dead people who took the same line as Steve and I: William James, Renee Descartes, Gottfried Leibniz, AN Whitehead ... and from what I can gather quite a large number of their associates, but today nobody seems to see the problem.

So 'a brain' does not get good solid red. Brains are aggregates of connected sending and receiving units. There is no physical sense in which a brain gets a signal; a signal is got by a cell. The other cells may get something from that first cell but the brain does not get anything any more than 'London' gets my mail. What could get 'solid red' is a cell. Think about it. I can read my mail but the other 9,999,999 people in London know nothing about it unless I post it on my blog.

Similarly, there are no 'subjective experiences of Joe' to diminish because there is no 'Joe' that gets signals - do you follow? I realise that my argument sounds weird because we are all brought up to believe that there are physical causal units called people, but the whole point of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century was to rethink that and be a bit more rigorous.

So, yes, neurons cause effects on other neurons, but why should that make 'representations' 'arise' like a genie from a lamp? That would be worse than dualism: just handwaving. It is absolutely relevant to your argument. The combined mail deliveries in London do not lead to a 'representation' hanging like a fog over the River Thames. People talk about a functional account in which experience reflects 'function'. But function is assumed to be based on physical causal interactions and there are none that would make a representation 'arise' from lots of separate sendings and receivings. When 'function' is brought in as a substitute for a causal story alarm bells should ring.

If only our current intellectual community could rise to the level of analysis of 1714. These issues were obviously well understood not only by Leibniz but also by his critical correspondents Pierre Bayle and Antoine Arnauld. At that time there was a genuine desire to find a theory of perception that was physically possible. The correspondence was not full of cynical point scoring. These were friends trying to build on each other's ideas, even if Leibniz himself was a bit of a prima donna. Now everything seems to be dumbed down to the level of the Medieval 'Scholastics' who allowed genies to come out of lamps.

An experience can only be had by a structure that has the signals coming in that encode the experience - in other words has access to the signals. 

Best wishes
Jo E

PS Someone has suggested access involves being outside, which I think relates to a different usage of the English word. Nevertheless, if one starts to look at possible physical explanations for experiential access I would agree that it gets quite interesting. I have discussed this in a memo entitled 'Mohammed must go to the mountain' on my webpage. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/jonathan-edwards

2013-03-24
Fading Qualia
Reply to Brian Crabb

Although we agree that the thought experiment fails to establish Chalmers’s point, I’m not sure I agree with your argument.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Chalmers assumes a case where Joe’s brain, though some of his neurons have been replaced by chips, has exactly the same pattern of causal interaction as Fred’s, having exactly the same functional organization. So where Fred reports seeing red, Joe reports seeing red, exactly the same brain events occurring in each case, producing the same statement. It is not qualia that cause the reporting, but neural/ chip events.

But what “red” means for Joe (or Fred) depends on the conscious experiences associated with those neural/chip events (which is why I think the thought experiment fails).  For Joe “red” means what for Fred (and most people) is tepid pink, so there is no question of his realizing that he is wrong.

2013-03-25
Fading Qualia
Hi Anthony - many thanks for responding to my post.

Firstly, regarding your own suggested reason for rejecting Chalmers' argument:

>>>But what “red” means for Joe (or Fred) depends on the conscious experiences associated with those neural/chip events (which is why I think the thought experiment fails).  For Joe “red” means what for Fred (and most people) is tepid pink, so there is no question of his realizing that he is wrong.>>>

I understand this point, and if we were talking about a creature supposedly having constant color experience, it might indeed be impossible to know the meaning of its experiential color reports. However, in this experiment, I am taking the alleged fading of qualia to be the important factor. Chalmers seems to be arguing that it would be most implausible that a being with fading qualia would report them as remaining constant. I think this added factor leaves much less room for referential opacity. If there is, indeed, a reliable causal link between qualia and reports thereof, the fading should be reported and probably understood as such.

Secondly, regarding my own objection:

>>>Chalmers assumes a case where Joe’s brain, though some of his neurons have been replaced by chips, has exactly the same pattern of causal interaction as Fred’s, having exactly the same functional organization. So where Fred reports seeing red, Joe reports seeing red, exactly the same brain events occurring in each case, producing the same statement. It is not qualia that cause the reporting, but neural/ chip events.>>>

Exactly so. This is indeed what Chalmers assumes. Taking this as a starting point, my challenge would then be that to make that assumption is to beg the very question at issue: To assume that Joe can have exactly the same micro-functional profile as Fred, without the need to know firstly whether or not their constant/fading qualia have any influence on that functional profile, is precisely to assume that qualia reports are not causally dependent on qualia, or the fading thereof. 

So distilling this out a bit, he is, in effect, arguing that:

1. We know as a matter of common sense that Joe could have exactly the same micro-functional profile as Fred. All it would take is for the silicon replacements to function exactly as the carbon components they replace. Obvious.

This premise depends on there being no causal link between qualia and functional profile.

2. But then look at the absurd implication if silicon is assumed not to bear qualia. Joe's qualia would fade out, while he reports them as remaining constant. We know this would be absurd, because we already know that qualia/fading have a causal influence on the reporting thereof.

The argument fails because 1 and 2 incorporate contradictory assumptions about the causal efficacy of qualia and/or their fading.

2013-03-25
Fading Qualia

Dear Jo,

When a person sees something (speaking loosely), a pattern of neural firing occurs in his brain. Putting aside conscious experience, seeing the thing consists of those neural events. I don’t see why one needs to say that a single cell gets a signal – a perception consists of a number of events in the brain, involving a number of cells. The conscious experience is associated with those events – in my view being the subjective version of those events. The experience is, as it were, the neural events as they are in or for themselves, rather than as detected, recorded, measured or described from outside.

What is it that has the experience? Strictly speaking, nothing has it. Just as objectively the perception (or feeling) is a series of events occurring in the brain, the experience is simply a subjective event that occurs in the brain. But the brain comes to understand (that is to say neural structures arise which trigger thoughts or statements to the effect) that (in the case of seeing) something is happening in the person in relation to the thing seen, i.e. the person (or the self) is having an experience.  

You say there are no 'subjective experiences of Joe' to diminish because there is no 'Joe' that gets signals.  More precisely I should originally have said that experiences associated with events in Joe’s brain will diminish because experiences are only associated with neural events, not chip events. 

(As to neural representations, my suggestion is that a neural representation of a thing is a copy of the neural event (or rather combination of events) involved in seeing the thing. It represents, or stands in the place of, the thing by being able to cause in the brain what the thing would cause by being perceived.)

Best wishes,

Anthony.

2013-04-03
Fading Qualia
>  For Joe “red” means what for Fred (and most people) is tepid pink, so there is no question of his realizing that he is wrong.

In the absence of mental telepathy there is no possible way for anyone other than Joe to know how red appears to Joe, and there is no possible way for anyone other than Fred to know how red appears to Fred.  Joe is not wrong, nor is Fred.  The premise of the thought experiment -- that one can make such comparisons -- is wrong.  Hence, no conclusion can be drawn from the experiment.

2013-04-04
Fading Qualia
> The thought experiment with which my argument is dealing takes it that Joe’s conscious experiences are different from mine: “many shades of my experience no longer present in shades of his experience.”  Indeed that is the basis of the thought experiment. Joe experiences tepid pink when I experience red. It is in this sense that I say that Joe’s experiences are different from mine. Surely one can compare two persons’ conscious experiences to this extent?

You can say you are comparing two persons' experiences in a thought experiment, but in reality you can't do that, so the thought experiment is flawed.  You can imagine that you are somehow inside Joe's experience watching the redness fade, but that is only imagination.  In fact there is no possible way for you to know subjectively what Joe's subjective experience is.  Only Joe knows what Joe's subjective experience is.

2013-04-11
Fading Qualia
Trouble is, Anthony, you seem to be switching from one thing to another, just as the neuroscientists often do. First the experience is some neural events for themselves (subjectively). But which neural events are these selves, or is it themself and if so how do they come to be one self? Then you say nothing has the experience. If subjectivity is having experiences then we seem to have got rid of themselves? But no, we do have a 'subjective event' in the brain. OK, that's fine, but which bit of the brain? Then the brain as a whole seems to 'come to understand' that something is happening in a person, so the person or self is having the experience. I am lost I am afraid. What if the brain misunderstands - as it almost certainly does?
You suggest that a representation in a brain is a set of neural events that will cause something similar to that caused by seeing the thing represented. OK. So how would these events cause something - and note that all the events have to cause the same thing, we cannot have some of the events in the representation causing some things and others causing others because if one part of the brain was informed of 'it is black' and another of 'it is a cat' nothing would be informed of 'it is a black cat'. Representations have to be patterns of events that have some convergent co-causal effect on at least one event. The events of the representation itself won't do because they have not yet converged causally. I do not see how there can be a 'themself' for a set of separate events, whether outside or inside the skull. If there is it is something outside physics and yet something that causes reports so we seem to have a form of dualism worse than Descartes.

Can you give me a candidate example of what events might be a 'themself' to have a subjective version thereof and **why** they are a themself. Why would it be only events in one head? Being a themself would not seem to be due to being connected since an event for itself is not going to be the same as its subsequent effect on another event (for itself). Being a themself cannot be a causal relation between parts. What on earth could it be?

Best wishes

Jo

2013-04-11
Fading Qualia
Reply to Brian Crabb

Brian, I am persuaded by your argument.

As to your remarks on my approach to the experiment, I took simply the case of Joe in his particular state of neurons/chips.  You take the case of a being with fading qualia reporting them as remaining constant.  If the neurons which are the memories of the various previous seeings of red have been replaced by chips, then it makes no difference to what I said. If the memory neurons remain, then Joe will still say that he is seeing red, without being wrong about it for him, but he will be puzzled by the fact that he has memories of thinking that red meant  brighter colours. Rather than an absurdity supporting the principle of organizational invariance, if for example conscious experiences can only be associated with neural events, such a puzzling situation for Joe is what would happen by replacing some of his neurons with chips.

2013-04-11
Fading Qualia

I apologise for the fact that the reference given in my original post was wrong.

It should have been 1996, The Conscious Mind, 253-63 or 1995 “Absent Qualia, Fading Qualia, Dancing Qualia” in  1995 Thomas Metzinger (ed) Conscious Experience,  

2013-04-11
Fading Qualia
Reply to Bill Meacham

You say, “In the absence of mental telepathy there is no possible way for anyone other than Joe to know how red appears to Joe, and there is no possible way for anyone other than Fred to know how red appears to Fred.”  . Can one not at any rate say that Fred and Joe’s experiences are different, or that someone is colour blind?

You say, “The premise of the thought experiment – that one can make such comparisons – is wrong.”  The thought experiment (which of course I think comes to the wrong conclusion) supposes for argument’s sake (in order to show it leads to an absurd result) that only neurons can have conscious experiences, so that as chips are substituted for neurons Joe’s experience will fade, with the result that his experiences will differ from mine. Is that not a reasonable premise, although it involves a comparison of experiences?

2013-04-16
Fading Qualia

Jo, I had said the experience is simply a subjective event that occurs in the brain. You ask which bit of the brain. The experience is a subjective event that occurs in the  same bits of the brain in which the relevant neural events occur.

You say, “Then the brain as a whole seems to 'come to understand' that something is happening in a person, so the person or self is having the experience. I am lost I am afraid. What if the brain misunderstands - as it almost certainly does?”  Neural events occur in the brain which constitute seeing a thing. Suppose those events occur in the brain of a baby – the seeing takes place, but obviously the baby cannot think “I am seeing a thing”. Human brains have evolved so that as he grows older and learns to speak and think, he comes to understand that he is seeing the thing.

You say, “You suggest that a representation in a brain is a set of neural events that will cause something similar to that caused by seeing the thing represented. OK. So how would these events cause something”  They would cause other neural events in the brain which might lead to muscular actions, just as the neural events involved in seeing something would do so.

You say, “Representations have to be patterns of events that have some convergent co-causal effect on at least one event. The events of the representation itself won't do because they have not yet converged causally.”  The neural events, which are the representation, are part of a chain of causation in the brain which would tend to cause the same actions as actually seeing the thing would cause .

You say, “Can you give me a candidate example of what events might be a 'themself' to have a subjective version thereof and **why** they are a themself. Why would it be only events in one head? Being a themself would not seem to be due to being connected since an event for itself is not going to be the same as its subsequent effect on another event (for itself). Being a themself cannot be a causal relation between parts. What on earth could it be?” A set of neural events occurs in one head. A conscious experience is associated with those events occurring in that head. The brain in which the neural events in question are occurring believes that the person is having the experience of seeing something. It believes it in that it has neural structures which cause it to think “I, John Smith, am seeing something”. When John Smith says or thinks that, he means the conscious experience, not the neural events.

Best wishes,

Anthony.

2013-04-18
Fading Qualia
Dear Anthony,I give up. Like a neurologist, you are talking the language of causal chains but, like most neurologists (as a biomedical scientist and physician I was one for a while in training) you studiously avoid any mention of a link in the chain that could possibly be consistent with some thing having an experience or point of view . It is all just 'neural events' unspecified, slipping past from representation to motor output. This analysis has no Imperial clothes. How can we come to understand causally 'I see.' if 'I' is completely undefined. There is no understanding here. I suspect man differs from animals in that he alone has come to believe in a baseless idea of self.

As I see it the current neurological account puts us in the sort of situation Leibniz faced with Descartes's 'mechanical' philosophy, in which matter was just 'extension' and all action depended on God intervening every nanosecond in some totally undefined way. Modern 'cognitive science' is pre-Leibnizian mumbo-jumbo. A thought experiment like fading qualia based on mumbo-jumbo is maybe not something to get too worried about (and the solution is easy if you do pin down the points of view in a head.) Leibniz spent 40 years trying to work out a rational solution. He never quite achieved his goal, as Dan Garber points out in his excellent book, Leibniz: Body, Substance Monad. However, at least he created a framework that could make sense. I suspect his Achilles heel was that, like Descartes, he was a deeply lonely man who survived psychologically through a belief that the Bible was true. That blocks important options.

I will leave it there. All my other arguments are on my new website http://www.ucl.ac.uk/jonathan-edwards.

Very best wishes

Jo

2013-04-18
Fading Qualia
Anthony,

I think that as a prediction of what would actually happen in Joe's situation you might well be correct. But to allow that you might be correct would be to miss what I take to be the point of Chalmers' argument. You would no longer be able to use the example to challenge his principle of organizational invariance. Allow me to explain:

Chalmers' principle claims that if a person's overall functional profile remains invariant its qualia must too. So in support of that claim he tries to show that its falsity would result in absurdity. That demonstration requires that there is a situation imagined in which (a) functional organization remains invariant, and (b) the subject's qualia fade, or change. Chalmers' quest for an absurdity therefore depends crucially on looking at a case in which both (a) and (b) obtain.

In your own analysis, which as I said might well turn out to be correct, the supposition is that Joe will take on an experience of puzzlement with regard to his memories. But this would disqualify Joe's case from Chalmers thought-experiment, because puzzlement would no doubt result in its own set of functional characteristics, such as frowning, looking vacant, and even reporting his puzzled state, so it would no longer be the case that his functional profile was being assumed to be invariant. In short, since you would be allowing the possibility of changes to Joe's functional profile, you would no longer be entitled to use the example as one in which an invariant functional profile is attended by a change in qualia without absurdity - because you are no longer holding the case to be one of an invariant functional profile.

In order to challenge Chalmers' principle we need to challenge his claim that a change in qualia against an invariant functional profile leads to an absurdity, so in order to do that we need to take a case where both (a) and (b) are assumed to obtain. My argument is that in order to assume (a) it is necessary to presuppose that qualia are causally irrelevant to functional profile. But if they are causally irrelevant there can be no absurdity in assuming (b). Or, if indeed we do find a conjunction of (a) and (b) absurd, it would be legitimate for our suspicion to alight on (a). It would be absurd to have a case where Joe's qualia faded out while he failed to notice it, but who said he wouldn't notice it?

2013-04-22
Fading Qualia
Reply to Brian Crabb

Brian,

Thanks for your comment. It seems then that where chips are substituted for neurons, if that system is to continue to have the same functional organization as the one where chips are not substituted, then, as chips replace neurons relevant to seeing red, the memory neurons of having seen red must be replaced by chips at the same time. If that does not occur, so Joe is puzzled by his memories of red being different, then that takes the case outside the thought experiment.  But if the chips do replace the memory neurons, so that Joe’s memories of “red” are of tepid ink, just as are what he reports as being “red”, then Chalmers can hardly claim that it is an absurdity that he cannot form an accurate judgment of his experience.

Would this be a correct statement of your argument? Chalmers’s premise is that Joe, whose neurons are gradually replaced by silicon chips, will continue to make statements about his experiences which are identical to mine, though his experiences will become different if he gradually loses consciousness as the replacements takes place. This entails that it is the neurons/chips which cause him to report on his experiences. But then to say that this is absurd because such a person would surely make a correct judgment of his experiences contradicts that, for it entails that it is experiences which cause reports about those experiences.

I think that it is neurons which cause a person to report on his experiences, but that what he means by his report is for him determined by reference to his experiences, including the experiences (mental images) associated with his memories.

2013-04-22
Fading Qualia
Anthony - yes, that is exactly my argument, and I think it is sound.

Regarding your final sentence: are you proposing that in view of this fact, (as I said earlier, it might well be a fact), an absurdity can still be derived from the fading qualia assumption? If that is the intention, I don't think it will work. What you would need is again for (a) to hold, but for (b) to therefore be absurd. But the fact that Joe has come to mean something different by his 'red-experience' discourse does not imply that his red experiences cause his reports, as you agree, and since ex hypothesi his functional profile remains constant nor can his memories of previous experiences have any effect. As argued originally, I claim that assuming (a) requires that we presuppose that there is no effect. So once (a) has been assumed I can see no absurdity in assuming (b) too.  

2013-04-30
Fading Qualia
Reply to Brian Crabb

Brian – I didn’t make myself clear. My final sentence entails that there would be no absurdity – the second part was the original reason I gave for that. I was just meaning to say, quite apart from the thought experiment, that my position is that it is neurons, not experiences, that cause reports of experiences.

2013-04-30
Fading Qualia
Reply to Brian Crabb

Brian,

Chalmers’ view, as he explains it briefly (The Character of Consciousness, pp 131-2), is that “consciousness plays a role in constituting phenomenal concepts and phenomenal beliefs. A red experience plays a role in constituting a belief that one is having a red experience … If so, there is no causal difference between the experience and the belief … this immediate connection to experience and belief allows for the belief to be justified. If this is right, then epiphenominalism poses no obstacle to knowledge of consciousness.” He would then presumably not accept that to say that it is  implausible that Joe would report that he is experiencing red – because such a person would surely make a correct judgment of his experiences (and presumably report them correctly) – necessarily entails that it is experiences which cause reports about those experiences.

But this still creates a contadiction in the experiment. Red experiences have played a role in constituting a belief that I am having a red experience when I see a given object.  What about Joe?  Chalmers says that he will say that he sees “red” when in fact he is seeing  tepid pink. But according to Chalmers’s view his tepid pink experience would play a role in constituting a belief that he is seeing tepid pink Why then would not his neurons/chips involved in that belief cause him to say he is seeing tepid pink? Apparently it is beause Joe is “functionally isomorphic to me. He says all the same things about his experiences as I do about mine.” But if Joe is functionally isomorphic to me then his consciousness plays a role in constituting his phenomenal beliefs. A tepid pink experience will play a role in constituting a belief that he is having a tepid pink experience, and he will say he is seeing tepid pink, not red.

Chalmers says that conscious beings are generally capable of forming accurate judgments about their experience. Why is the part of their system that leads to that being so not part of the  fine-grained functional organization of the system, causing Joe to say that he is seeing tepid pink, not red?