Back   

2013-03-04
Josiah Royce
I did my dissertation, in philosophy of education, on Royce and the problem of religious inclusion in public education. I think Royce is a fascinating figure in American Philosophy, that is of continuing importance today. Do you agree or disagree? I would like to know of anything anyone is doing related to his work in this forum. 

2013-03-12
Josiah Royce
Reply to David Kester
Agree 100%. I've published a book review and an encyclopedia (real, print, not Wikipedia) article on Royce and have done quite a bit of work on his philosophy of religion, his philosophy of loyalty, and his relation to Hegel.

2013-03-12
Josiah Royce
Good to hear from you Eric! I felt kind of ironic being the "lone Individual" in support of Royce! I looked on your page for some Royce readings, and I was unable to find any. I am also very interested in the relationship between Royce and Hegel. I would like to read what you have done on the area, and put it on the Royce page (of which I am editor). Do you have titles you could suggest, or give links to? I look forward to hearing from you. 

2013-03-12
Josiah Royce
Reply to David Kester
I too find Royce interesting.  There is something about a man born in a mining camp of not so well off parents who goes to Germany and learns enough German to handle lectures in a German University, then goes off to become a primier philosopher in the US at Harvard no less.  I also enjoyed reading his books the World and the Individual, The problem of Christianity, and The Philosophy of Loyalty.  I guess at heart I'm something of an Idealist, and something about that mode of thinking strikes me.  I find his friendship and banter with Howison and James interesting. Personalism, Pragmatism and Absolute Idealism hmm...  Today Idealism is a bit out of favor; about the only place you hear about it is in the Personalist Discussion Group.  I have always been interested in Plotinus and the Neoplatonists, and there is something about them that leads to Royce and Hegel. Not that Ancient Idealism is a copy of 19th century Idealism, or rather the other way around - 19th century a copy of the Ancient..

2013-03-12
Josiah Royce
Reply to Vernon Kooy
I like his biography as well. I particularly like the story of Royce showing up for a party in his only threadbare suit - when he first came to Harvard. James apparently knew his high class peers would look on him with scorn, so he jovially quipped  "I guess we are going casual" and changed so that he could help bear the brunt of their criticism.  Nice friend! I can see why they were able to remain friends despite their intense disagreements. The Transactions of the C.S. Pierce society also has some interesting Royce stuff, as does the Journal of Speculative Philosophy. From looking int he list here, it looks like Idealistic studies does some as well.  But, you are absolutely right about the Personalist. I had some great times at their conference in Memphis doing Royce stuff while in graduate school.