Back   

2014-12-01
Which do you think fictional characters are either particulars or types (a kind of universals)?
I was often  thinking about the thread title question while I worked on the ontology of artworks such as a piece of drama or music. Some philosophers show a positive response to the type view of artworks according to which an artwork is a type and its performances are the tokens. (By the word of "type", here I mean an entity that can have its example(s) like universal.)

What about fictional characters then?

I, at first thought, tended to support the particular view of characters. 

Yet the type view may be a more plausible position for some reasons.
One of them can be understood easily when you look at the case that many actors have ever played the role of Hamlet in their own ways. It may be natural that their performances are considered as tokens of the Hamlet-type. 

Besides, trademark protection for fictional characters like Disney's may imply the idea that they are types.  They seem to think the characters have their tokens, and then to prevent a third party from producing some token of the type without permission. 

Presumably these things can be explained unless fictional characters are regarded as types.

I am not sure there are some positive reasons for thinking character as particular though.

Let me know your opinion if you like.

2014-12-08
Which do you think fictional characters are either particulars or types (a kind of universals)?
Reply to Reina Saijo
In my opinion there are only tokens, performances... Better: only individuals. Now, if you want to speak of types, no problem, but these types would not be "universals" -entities. I prefer to speak of "models", "ways", "patterns", "tradicions", "usages", "costums", something inseparable of our actions... and these "models", "ways", "patterns", "tradicions", "usages", "costums" conform our practices but at the same time are conformed -modified, enriched- by our practices.

Creativity is the question!!! And in your explanation creativity is out: a token only represent -imitate, reproduce- the type. Is not a reproductor art contrary to art? Even when art is more o less a reproductor art, the artist cannot avoid his creativity.

To sum up: extrem nominalisme and a view of human beings like creative beings.

Antoni Defez

2014-12-16
Reply to Reina Saijo
Hi, Raina Saijo,
Thanks for your e-mail and question; I will give you my answer in the nearest future.
Sincerely,
Thor Olav Olsen.
Doctor Philosophiae in Philosophy.

2014-12-16
Reply to Thor Olsen
Hi again, Raina Saijo,
I have a doctoral degree in Philosophy from Tromsø, Norway: Doctor Philosophiae, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, 2000.
As I already have told you, I will come back to your question.
Sincerely,
Thor Olav Olsen.
Doctor Philosophia in Philosopy.

2014-12-16
Reply to Thor Olsen
Hi, Raina Saijo,
This is a correction: My degree is Doctor Philosophiae in Philosophy, and not Doctor Philosophia in Philosopy.
Sincerely best,
Thor Olav Olsen.
Dr. Phil. in Philosophy.

2014-12-16
Reply to Reina Saijo
Hi Reina Saijlo,
To talk about fictional characters as types, which tokens, isn't, in my mind, a stright forward question.
Let me explain. I will give two examples, both from Peer Gynt, written by the Norwegian Novelist Henrik Ibsen. In Peer Gynt we are confronted with the figur Per Gynt and the Farmer in the Priests Tale. I start with some few words of what Per Gynt, the figur, and after that I will take a look at the Farmer, as a figure.
It seems that is not pure fantasi to talk of the figur Peer Gynt as a dreamer, a lier, or as a person who doesn't take up life as a problem, which means as a problemata: A problemata is a thing that blocks your way forward; instead of doing something to get the things that blocks your way away, a typical dreamer, or a life lier, goes around the problen. In Norwegion: Gå utenom, sa Bøygen.
The Farmer stands in sharp contrast to Peer Gynt: He's a fighter, which means that he may loose in the beginning, and in the End he will acquire what he want. The point is this. The Farmer learn while he lives; Peer Gynt learns nothing.
What about the question of types(universals): It seems that Peer Gynt has a singular character and a Universal aspect; There is some humans around who have a to high evaluation of them self, or that that they are out of contact with reality. Peer Gynt is such a type. However, Peer Gynt refers to Norwegian circumstances, a particular Country in the World, and that means that is about some singular circumstances. My conclusion points in the direction that there exists singular Universals.
The Interpretation of the Farmer is basically unclear: Does he express a humble attitude towards life, or is he a looser, a coward? Each and everyone has to find out for himself.
My conclusion regarding how we shall interpretate the Farmer is that it depends on the question if it is possible to give one and only on precise meaning of his way of conducting himself through life.
Thor Olav Olsen.

2014-12-16
Reply to Reina Saijo
Well, there are both type and token in my opinion. Of course, there are particular instances that make every moment or performance unique, but it is still a type though different token. No matter how many different chairs there are in the world, the shapes or colors might be only accidents; a chair is a type in its most general sense, the tokens are just confirmations of the existence of that type. Put it in analogy with the elements, hydrogen is a type-element whose instances are indefinetly particular tokens. Type-identity is important epistemologically, since if things were merely tokens then it wouldn't matter if a certain atom was composed of such and such protons. Token identity is about countability, it relies on particular instances but it doesn't create identity. One chair and another chair make two chairs, even though we say there are two tokens they are still counted as one singular type, otherwise there would be just two tokens, of what? 
My idea is simple, Type-identity and token-accountability. 

Best regards. 

2014-12-16
Reply to Reina Saijo
Hi,
I have already written my answer.
Sincerely,
Thor Olav Olsen.