Back   

2015-03-04
Reflection's on Nagel's Internalism
I have been rereading The Possibility of Altruism, and have been struck by (pace Nagel) the essential incoherence of cognitive judgment internalism, at least on a rationalist construal of cognitivism (e.g. as opposed to naturalism).

On such a cognitive view, the truth of a moral judgment -- e.g. that act A is right -- is determinable by some rational assessment, regardless of one's involvement in A.  That is, whether or not one is in a position to do A, it's rightness is something anyone can determine, analogous to the way one can determine that "5 + 7 = 12" or "P&Q --> P" are true.  It is a rational truth.

But in determining the truth of a moral judgment I have not thereby decided to do anything, even in cases where I am involved.  In this case (shame on me) I may not yet have decided to do what is right.  The argument will be that, insofar I have not decided to do A, I have failed to fully appreciate the rightness of A.  But we have seen that the determination of the rightness of A is a purely rational matter, one that is intrinsically distinct from, and independent of, any person's ability to do A or any person's decision to do A.  Whether I, being in position to do so, indeed choose A is, on the contrary, an empirical matter.

It should be clear that the kind of logical connection required for internalism cannot hold between a rational truth and an empirical truth; neither can imply the other.  However, it may be countered, the connection supposed by judgment internalism only supposes such a connection between e.g. my determining A is right and my determining to choose A.  These are both empirical matters.

Nonetheless, because A's being right and my choosing A are logically separate and distinct, the same holds for their respective determinations.  The process by which one determines the rightness of an act is separate and distinct from the process by which one determines what one will choose.  The first procedure is a rational determination of what ought to be done; the second is an empirical determination of what, in the end, one wants to do.

Phenomenologically, of course, the two can get folded together.  It is at least logically possible that I am such an extraordinary person that the only deliberative issue for me outstanding, in any dispute with others, is what is the right thing to do.  But this does not obviate the fact that such behavior would be based upon a substantive principle, viz. "Always do what is right."  Anyone who indeed knows what is right, and generally wants only to do what is right, can prove to themselves the lack of motivational necessity in that principle by committing a modest sin, e.g. by telling an irrelevant falsehood (with full apologies all round afterwards, of course).

The rational procedures of morality simply need not be dispositive in one's deliberative process.  The rightness of A is a rational matter.  Whether one decides to do what is right -- in this case, or in general -- is an empirical matter.  The idea of an inherent connection between the two is flattering but incoherent.

2015-03-09
Reply to Gerald Hull
Jerry,

Well said - and similar to some ideas I'm exploring here: http://philpapers.org/rec/WALDEE

In "Developing effective ethics for effective behavior" I suggest that decisions based on ethics are also decisions based on truth - and that such truths are based on both empirical data and logical structure.

Of course, our modern world has been very heavy on data.. and sadly, not so much on logic. So, I've developed a method for evaluating the structure. This is particularly useful for situations where one has no data!

Please email me directly for my recently accepted paper "The Science of Conceptual Systems: A Progress Report" for an overview of recent progress in this way of thinking.

Thanks,

Steve
[email protected]

2015-03-12
Reply to Steve Wallis
Steve,

Thank you for your remarks.  I've looked up your paper on effectiveness in ethical systems, and it seems like an interesting approach.  Your concern appears largely normative, with what makes an ethical view effective.  However, my primary focus is over on the meta-ethical side of things:  I'm interested in what it is to abide by any norm, irrespective of issues of efficacy.

It is boilerplate to distinguish justification from explanation.  But Nagel deliberately confounds the two, in the belief that reasons are the same in either case.  I find that to be a mistake.

Here's an analogy that seems helpful.  You enter "5 + 7" in your basic calculator, and it comes back "12".  It appears in such a case that justification and explanation merge:  the "12" response appears to be caused by the input and by the rules of arithmetic.  But that's just bad metaphysics.  The rules of arithmetic do not reach out of Platonic (Peanonomic?) Heaven and tell the electrons in the calculator what to do.  

Switching Greeks, arithmetic rules are not efficient causes of the calculator's response, but rather formal causes.  They define what it is to be an arithmetic calculator:  they specify how it should causally operate, but are not themselves efficient causal elements in that operation.  If the calculator came back "11", this would not reflect a weakening of the prowess of Peano's Axioms, but rather the calculator's being broken.

So, in the case of the calculator, it only appears that justificatory reasons (the rules of arithmetic) play an explanatory role.  More precisely, they do formally explain what it is to be a calculator, but as such they are no part of what (efficiently) brings about the calculator's responses, viz. the electrons, chips, buttons, wires, etc.

The analogy should be clear.  It is not the rationality of a deliberation that brings about someone's abiding by its dictates, but rather the fact that he or she is a being capable of so abiding  Just as the rational truths of arithmetic cannot prod the calculator along, so (pace Kant) the rational truths of morality cannot reach out of the Kingdom of Ends and tip us into virtue.  Contra Nagel, a reason can't play both a justificatory role and a causally explanatory role.

So I am not as much concerned with the Robustness of particular normative positions as I am with what it is simply to have (and act on) a normative position.  Still, I am grateful for your feedback, not to mention your willingness to overlook the erratum in the title :-).

2015-04-20
Reply to Gerald Hull
Jerry,

well.. I might argue that my approach to ethics is "meta-normative" instead of normative, but I might be splitting hairs.

Re your response - Yes I see - brilliant - I agree that Nagel seems to have made a mistake (not sure if it was deliberate, or not). I may decide that (high level of ethical behavior) I *should* spend all my time working against global warming. Yet, I may instead simply buy a battery powered car (lower level of ethical behavior).

I also think your insights have deeper implications - specifically looking at multiple forms of causality.

Did Aristotle have it right with his four forms of causality for understanding ethics? Or, is there a better, more useful set of causal relationships?

Thanks,

Steve