Philosophy, General Works

Subscribe to this forum      feed for this page

1 - 3 / 3 

Philosophy of Knowledge:In Relation to Truth, Knowledge and Metaphysics. 

In contemporary idealism, especially those of Kantian inspiration, knowledge is considered as the primary and radical philosophical discipline. According to them: “metaphysics itself must be submitted to the previous judgement of the theory of knowledge, which would determine whether it is viable or not.”[1] This sentence could be summarized into this phrase: How can the theory of knowledge leads us to truth? On the other hand, how can we know that it is true?

According to a Kantian metaphor: “reason stands accused before the tribunal in which reason itself is to be the judge.”[2] So if our capacity to reason to reach truth is in question, how will we ever be able to resolve this dilemma?

In a few decades, there have been many philosophers rejecting knowledge, and considered it as a “dead letter.”[3] Heidegger, was one of them who criticized the philosophy of consciousness, where he denounced the substitution of cer ... (read more)

Latest replies: Permanent link: Reply

Are any of you aware of any attempt by a contemporary professional philosopher to articulate a practical and self-contained "philosophy of life", akin to those of the ancient Greek philosophical schools?  
To give you an idea of that for which I am searching, please see my own attempt at the following link:

In the interest of full disclosure, please note that I am self-taught in philosophy (if it is not already obvious from a cursory review of my document).

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Latest replies:
  • Kevin Harris, 2014-03-23 : Though I do not personally agree with several of your philosophical positions I am willing to accept them as premises in... (read more)
  • Philo Sofer, 2014-03-31 : Kevin, thank you for reading and comme I agree that substantial benefits may accrue from holding philosophical positions... (read more)
Permanent link: Reply

What DSM seems to show is that sensation is non epistemic and that perception is a cognitive process. The sensory as non-epistemic, merely bare,
non-conscious occurrences, represent nothing until some perceiving, useful
or mistaken, has gone on.

1 - 3 / 3