||People have long sought to give meaning to historical processes. One solution has been religion; engagement with associated philosophical issues continues. Since the Enlightenment with its “scientific” understanding history has been disciplinised in various ways as unassociated with religion; philosophical reflections by historians on historiographical methods also continue. For twentieth-century analytical philosophy there were two traditions in philosophy of history: “speculative” and “analytical”. A speculative philosopher of history, for example Hegel or Marx, would seek by non-empirical methods a profound understanding of the hitherto hidden plan of actual historical change and would offer a political ideology suitable for mass motivation; such speculations continue. Analytical philosophers initially addressed problems of historical knowledge and explanation, but much has migrated to the philosophies of science and of action. With Continental, post-Wittgenstein and pragmatic approaches permitting the historicising of philosophical analysis, metaphilosophical problems of the history and philosophy of history remain; the aesthetic understanding of “narrative” and the ethics of the recovery of shared memory are central. Philosophers and historians across the world often work in ignorance of the traditions of their many opponents, but the first conference of the International Network for the Theory of History attracted in 2013 a large and varied attendance which found much to share, although philosophy of history has not yet settled into an analytically well-structured discipline.
||Four journals in the subject should be perused: History and Theory, Storia della Storiografia, Rethinking History and The Journal of the Philosophy of History. For a clear logical empiricist expression of causal explanation in history see Hempel 1942, with Collingwood 1993 and Dray 1979 expressing noncausal modes of understanding past actions. Skinner 1969 applies speech act theory to the history of ideas and the interpretation of evidence. Danto 1965 takes narrative seriously and offers a largely reductionist account, while Gorman 1974 and Ankersmit 1983 argue in different ways for the epistemological centrality of narrative understanding. White 1973 and 1987 argues that narrative history is a literary artefact with poetic modes of structure and sets much of the modern agenda. Tucker 2004 offers an analytical account of reasoning from historical evidence in terms of Bayesian decision theory.
|| Day 2008 is a study guide that assesses the arguments of major philosophers and historians who have contributed to the theory of history. It is suitable for undergraduate students in both philosophy and history, and deals with historical evidence, methodology and reasoning; the relationships between history, science and causation; narrative, empathy and rational action; truth, objectivity and scepticism. Gorman 1992 is intended for both undergraduate and postgraduate philosophy and history students. It deals with fundamental issues in the epistemology and metaphysics of history from an analytical and pragmatic viewpoint, and offers a detailed analysis comparing economic history and traditional narrative history. Tucker 2009 contains 50 papers by international experts on a wide range of issues in the theory of history. Jenkins 1995 helpfully introduces postmodern approaches.
Jobs in this area
Assistant (tenure-track) or Associate (tenured) Professor
Assistant or Associate or Full Professor of Philosophy
Director of Latina/o Studies Program (Associate/Professor of Latina/o Studies)
History/traditions: Philosophy of History
|1 — 50 / 6049|
- A. C. D. A. C. D. (1986). CLIO'S MIRROR. Historiography in Britain and the Netherlands. Edited by A. C. Duke and C. A. Tamse. [REVIEW] History and Theory 25 (3):355.
- A. D. H. A. D. H. (1990). The Historical Method of Herodotus. By Donald Lateiner. [REVIEW] History and Theory 29 (3):385.
- A. G. O. A. G. O. (1978). Due Saggi Su R. G. Collingwood. Con Un'appendice di Lettere Inedite di Collingwood a G. De Ruggiero. By Alessandra Greppi Olivetti. [REVIEW] History and Theory 17 (1):145.
- A. J. W. A. J. W. (1989). Rhetoric in Classical Historiography. Four Studies. By A. J. Woodman. [REVIEW] History and Theory 28 (2):253.
- A. J. Y. A. J. Y. (1987). The Prince and the Pretender. A Study in the Writing of History. By A. J. Youngson. [REVIEW] History and Theory 26 (2):237.
- A. L. L. A. L. L. (1984). Historical Understanding in Geography. An Idealist Approach. By Leonard Guelke. [REVIEW] History and Theory 23 (1):147.
- A. A. A. A. (1986). Giovanni Pico Della Mirandola, Symbol of His Age. Modern Interpretations of a Renaissance Philosopher. By William G. Craven. [REVIEW] History and Theory 25 (1):113.
- C. A. C. A. (1985). Historians and the Law in Postrevolutionary France. By Donald R. Kelley. [REVIEW] History and Theory 24 (2):231.
- D. A. D. A. (1983). The Origin of Formalism in Social Science. By Jeffrey T. Bergner. [REVIEW] History and Theory 22 (1):101.
- F. G. A. (1964). On History. [REVIEW] Review of Metaphysics 17 (3):477-478.
- R. A. (1956). La Valeur Dans l'Histoire. [REVIEW] Review of Metaphysics 9 (3):515-515.
- R. A. (1956). The Idea of History. [REVIEW] Review of Metaphysics 10 (2):360-360.
- R. A. R. A. (1981). The Revolutionary Histories. Contemporary Narratives of the American Revolution. By Lester H. Cohen. [REVIEW] History and Theory 20 (2):234.
- W. A. W. A. (1983). A Functional Past. The Uses of History in Nineteenth-Century Chile. By Allen Woll. [REVIEW] History and Theory 22 (1):104.
- Hans Aarsleff (2011). Pufendorf and Condillac on Law and Language. Journal of the Philosophy of History 5 (3):308-321.
- José Antonio Merino Abad (1984). La historia como producto y proyecto humanos. Cuadernos Salmantinos de Filosofía 11:267-278.
- Oscar Moro Abadía (2008). Beyond the Whig History Interpretation of History: Lessons on 'Presentism' From Hélène Metzger. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 39 (2):194-201.
- Ricardo G. Abduca (2014). El Folklore Entre la Etnografía, la Historia y la Lingüística: El Habla Criolla Chaqueña y la Gauchesca Escrita. Corpus.
- Henry Abelove (1984). Making Histories: Studies in History-Writing and Politics. Edited by Richard Johnson, Gregor McLennan, Bill Schwarz, and David Sutton. [REVIEW] History and Theory 23 (1):149.
- Henry Abelove (1982). E. P. THOMPSON, "The Poverty of Theory". [REVIEW] History and Theory 21 (1):132.
- Henry Abelove (1982). Review. [REVIEW] History and Theory 21:132-142.
- Henry Abelove (1979). The Nature of Biography. By Robert Gittings. [REVIEW] History and Theory 18 (3):437.
- Henry Abelove & E. P. Thompson (1982). The Poverty of Theory. History and Theory 21 (1):132.
- José Antônio Damásio Abib (2009). Epistemologia pluralizada e história da psicologia. Scientiae Studia 7 (2):195-208.
- Janet Lippman Abu-Lughod (1995). The World-System Perspective in the Construction of Economic History. History and Theory 34 (2):86-98.
- David Abulafia (2011). 4. Mediterranean History as Global History. History and Theory 50 (2):220-228.
- Sapir Abulafia, Howard Hotson & Richard A. Muller (2010). bOOkS IN SUmmary. History and Theory 49 (2):447-450.
- Jamil Abun-Nasr (2011). An Empire of Facts: Colonial Power, Cultural Knowledge, and Islam in Algeria, 1870–1914. By George R. Trumbull IV. [REVIEW] Journal of Islamic Studies 22 (3):449-452.
- H. B. Acton (1953). WALSH, W. H. - An Introduction to Philosophy of History. [REVIEW] Mind 62:564.
- H. B. Acton (1939). The Philosophy of History. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 40:75 - 88.
- A. M. Adam (2000). Book Review: The What and the Why of History. [REVIEW] Philosophy of the Social Sciences 30 (1):131-140.
- A. M. Adam (1999). On the Methods of History. Philosophy of the Social Sciences 29 (2):315-324.
- A. M. Adam (1995). Book Reviews : R. G. Collingwood, The Idea of History. Rev. Ed., Edited and with a New Introduction by J. Van der Dussen, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1993. Pp. Xlvii, 510. $108.00 (Cloth. [REVIEW] Philosophy of the Social Sciences 25 (2):256-258.
- A. M. Adam (1995). "The Idea of History", by R. G. Collingwood, Edited and with a New Introduction by J. Van der Dussen. [REVIEW] Philosophy of the Social Sciences 25 (2):256.
- A. M. Adam (1994). "Human Nature and Historical Knowledge", by Leon Pompa. [REVIEW] Philosophy of the Social Sciences 24 (2):250.
- A. M. Adam (1994). Book Reviews : Leon Pompa, Human Nature and Historical Knowledge, New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990. Pp. 234. $44.50. [REVIEW] Philosophy of the Social Sciences 24 (2):250-252.
- Ben Adams (2012). History. Philosophy Now 88:34-35.
- J. S. A. Adamson (1986). Procopius and the Sixth Century. By Averil Cameron. [REVIEW] History and Theory 25 (2):220.
- Walter Adamson (1980). Review. [REVIEW] History and Theory 19:186-204.
- Walter A. Adamson (1980). WILLIAM A. SHAW, "Marx's Theory of History". [REVIEW] History and Theory 19 (2):186.
- Walter L. Adamson (1981). Marx's Four Histories: An Approach to His Intellectual Development. History and Theory 20 (4):379.
- Walter L. Adamson, G. A. Cohen, Melvin Rader & William H. Shaw (1980). Karl Marx's Theory of History. A Defence.Marx's Interpretation of History.Marx's Theory of History. History and Theory 19 (2):186.
- Josè Pérez Adan (1989). Notas para la confección de una historia olvidada: los presupuestos ideológicos del anarquismo anglosajón. Revista Venezolana de Filosofía 25:73-92.
- Robert Adcock (2007). Who's Afraid of Determinism? The Ambivalence of Macro-Historical Inquiry. Journal of the Philosophy of History 1 (3):346-364.
- Laird Addis (1966). Freedom and the Marxist Philosophy of History. Philosophy of Science 33 (1/2):101-.
- Howard Adelman (1974). Rational Explanation Reconsidered: Case Studies and the Hempel-Dray Model. History and Theory 13 (3):208-224.
- Roger Adelson (1997). Speaking of History Conversations with Historians. Monograph Collection (Matt - Pseudo).
- Madhumalati Adhikari (2002). History and Story: Unconventional History in Michael Ondaatje's the English Patient and James A. Michener's Tales of the South Pacific. History and Theory 41 (4):43–55.
- Thomas Africa (1973). Review. [REVIEW] History and Theory 12:351-357.
- Thomas W. Africa (1973). Michael Grant, "the Ancient Historians". [REVIEW] History and Theory 12 (3):351.
|1 — 50 / 6049||
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: