- Faculty, University of Birmingham
- Research staff, University of Johannesburg
- PhD, Nottingham University, 2012.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
Born in Jersey (Channel Islands not the USA!); an avid golf, cricket and Birmingham city fan; lived in Nottingham and have been associated with Nottingham University since 2002. My interests largely lie in the realm of causation, laws, and how our concept of causation relates to laws of nature. However I have also worked on the philosophy of time, philosophy of science, and the philosophy of sex.
- Benjamin Smart (2014). On the Classification of Diseases. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 35 (4):251-269.
- Benjamin Smart, Hypertemporal Humeanism and the Open Future.
- B. Turner & B. Smart (forthcoming). The Disciplines. Body and Society.
- Benjamin Smart (2013). Is the Humean Defeated by Induction? Philosophical Studies 162 (2):319-332.
- S. Barker & B. Smart (2012). The Ultimate Argument Against Dispositional Monist Accounts of Laws. Analysis 72 (4):714-722.
- Benjamin Smart & Stephen Barker (2012). The Ultimate Argument Against Dispositional Monist Accounts of Laws. Analysis 72 (4):714-723.
- B. Smart (2011). Another 'Great Transformation' or Common Ruin? Theory, Culture and Society 28 (2):131-151.
- Benjamin Smart (2009). Regularity Theory and Inductive Scepticism: The Fight Against Armstrong. Lyceum 11.
- George Ritzer & B. Smart (2001). Introduction: Theorists, Theories and Theorizing. In Barry Smart & George Ritzer (eds.), Handbook of Social Theory. Sage. 1--9.
- B. Smart (1996). (Mis) Understanding Japan. Theory, Culture and Society 13 (3):179-192.
- B. Smart (1991). Theory and Analysis After Foucault. Theory, Culture and Society 8 (2):145-155.
- B. Smart (1982). "Body, Mind, and Method: Essays in Honour of Virgil C. Aldrich". Edited by D. F. Gustafson and B. L. Tapscott. [REVIEW] Mind 91:313.
- B. Smart (1979). "The Identities of Persons." Edited by A. O. Rorty. [REVIEW] Mind 88:147.
- B. Smart (1978). CHISHOLM, R. M. "Person and Object, A Metaphysical Study". [REVIEW] Mind 87:466.
- Benjamin Smart, A Critique of Humean and Anti-Humean Metaphysics of Cause and Law - Final Version.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: