- Faculty, University of Massachusetts, Boston
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 1986.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
Currently serving as chair of the APA Committee on Public Philosophy.
Brief profile on the APA CSW page (March 2014). Find it here (note typo in name, it's necessary): http://www.apaonlinecsw.org/home/woman_philosopher/lynnetirellmarch2014
- Lynne Tirrell (forthcoming). “Transitional Justice in Post-Genocide Rwanda: An Integrative Approach”. In Claudio Corradetti, Nir Eisikovits & Jack Rotondi (eds.), Theorizing Transitional Justice. Ashgate
- Lynne Tirrell (2015). "Listen to What You Say": Rwanda's Postgenocide Language Policies. New England Journal of Public Policy 27 (4).
- Lynne Tirrell (2013). Apologizing for Atrocity: Rwanda and Recognition. In Alice MacLachlan & C. Allen Speight (eds.), Justice, Responsibility, and Reconciliation in the Wake of Conflict. Springer
- Lynne Tirrell (2013). Studying Genocide: A Pragmatist Approach to Action-Engendering Discourse. In Graham Hubbs & Douglas Lind (eds.), Pragmatism, Law, and Language. Routledge
- Lynne Tirrell (2012). Genocidal Language Games. In Ishani Maitra & Mary Kate McGowan (eds.), Speech and Harm: Controversies Over Free Speech. Oxford University Press 174--221.
- Alisa L. Carse & Lynne Tirrell (2010). Forgiving Grave Wrongs. In Christopher Allers & Marieke Smit (eds.), Forgiveness In Perspective. Rodopi Press
- Larry Blum, Jennifer Radden & Lynne Tirrell (2009). Janet Farrell Smith, 1941-2009. Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association 82 (5):205 - 207.
- Todd Calder, Claudia Card, Ann Cudd, Eric Kraemer, Alice MacLachlan, Sarah Clark Miller, María Pía Lara, Robin May Schott, Laurence Thomas & Lynne Tirrell (2009). Evil, Political Violence, and Forgiveness: Essays in Honor of Claudia Card. Lexington Books.
- Lynne Tirrell (2009). Epistemic Aspects of Evil: The Three Monkeys Meet The Atrocity Paradigm. In Andrea Veltman & Kathryn Norlock (eds.), Evil, Political Violence and Forgiveness: Essays in Honor of Claudia Card.
- Lynne Tirrell (1999). Aesthetic Derogation: Hate Speech, Pornography, and Aesthetic Contexts,. In Jerrold Levinson (ed.), Aesthetics and Ethics: Essays at the Intersection. Cambridge University Press
- Lynne Tirrell (1999). Derogatory Terms: Racism, Sexism and the Inferential Role Theory of Meaning. In Kelly Oliver & Christina Hendricks (eds.), Language and Liberation: Feminism, Philosophy and Language,. SUNY Press
- Lynne Tirrell (1999). Pornographic Subordination: How Pornography Silences Women. In Claudia F. Card (ed.), Feminist Ethics and Politics. University Press of Kansas
- Lynne Tirrell (1997). Language and Power. In Alison M. Jaggar & Iris Marion Young (eds.), A Companion to Feminist Philosophy,. Blackwell
- Lynne Tirrell (1994). Sexual Dualism and Women's Self-Creation: On the Advantages and Disadvantages of Reading Nietzsche for Feminists,". In Peter Burgard (ed.), Nietzsche and the Feminine. University of Virginia Press
- Lynne Tirrell (1993). Definition and Power: Toward Authority Without Privilege. Hypatia 8 (4):1-34.
- Arthur S. Ripstein & Lynne Tirrell (1992). Douglas Joel Butler 1957-1991. Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association 65 (5):79 - 80.
- Lynne Tirrell (1991). Seeing Metaphor as Seeing-As: Remarks on Davidson's Positive View of Metaphor. Philosophical Investigations 14 (2):143-154.
- Lynne Tirrell (1991). Reductive and Nonreductive Simile Theories of Metaphor. Journal of Philosophy 88 (7):337-358.
- Lynne Tirrell (1991). Seeing Metaphor as Seeing-As: Davidson's Positive View of Metaphor. Philosophical Investigations 14 (2):143-154.
- Lynne Tirrell (1990). Storytelling and Moral Agency. Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 48 (2):115-126.
- Lynne Tirrell (1989). Extending: The Structure of Metaphor. Noûs 23 (1):17-34.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: