- Faculty, University of Florida
- PhD, Rutgers University - New Brunswick, 2003.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
I'm an associate professor of philosophy at the University of Florida. My research focuses on modern philosophy. I've been looking at the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes, in particular his materialism, and the reactions of other modern philosophers to Hobbes's views. As the project has developed, I've been looking more at Leibniz's criticisms of materialism, and at the work of other early modern materialists, such as John Toland and Margaret Cavendish.
- Stewart Duncan, Hobbes, Universal Names, and Nominalism.
- Stewart Duncan, Minds Everywhere: Margaret Cavendish’s Anti-Mechanist Materialism.
- Stewart Duncan (forthcoming). Hobbes on Language: Propositions, Truth, and Absurdity. In A. P. Martinich & Kinch Hoekstra (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Thomas Hobbes. Oxford University Press.
- Stewart Duncan (2015). Leibniz on the Expression of God. Ergo 2 (4):83-103.
- Stewart Duncan (2014). Comments on Larry May, Limiting Leviathan. Hobbes Studies 27:185-190.
- Stewart Duncan (2013). Materialism. In S. A. Lloyd (ed.), Bloomsbury Companion to Hobbes. Continuum.
- Stewart Duncan & Antonia LoLordo (eds.) (2013). Debates in Modern Philosophy: Essential Readings and Contemporary Responses. Routledge.
- Stewart Duncan (2012). Debating Materialism: Cavendish, Hobbes, and More. History of Philosophy Quarterly 29 (4):391-409.
- Stewart Duncan (2012). Leibniz's Mill Arguments Against Materialism. Philosophical Quarterly 62 (247):250-72.
- Stewart Duncan (2012). Toland, Leibniz, and Active Matter. Oxford Studies in Early Modern Philosophy 6:249-78.
- Stewart Duncan (2011). Hobbes, Signification, and Insignificant Names. Hobbes Studies 24 (2):158-178.
- Stewart Duncan (2010). Leibniz on Hobbes's Materialism. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 41 (1):11-18.
- Stewart Duncan (2010). Review of Perez Zagorin, Hobbes and the Law of Nature. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2010 (5).
- Stewart Duncan (2009). Hume and a Worry About Simplicity. History of Philosophy Quarterly 26 (2):139-157.
- Stewart Duncan (2009). Review of James R. Martel, Subverting the Leviathan. [REVIEW] Restoration, Studies in English Literary Culture, 1660-1700 33:57-9.
- Stewart Duncan, Thomas Hobbes. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Stewart Duncan (2008). Review of Samantha Frost, Lessons From a Materialist Thinker: Hobbesian Reflections on Ethics and Politics. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2008 (8).
- Stewart Duncan (2006). Review of Tom Sorell and Luc Foisneau (Ed.), Leviathan After 350 Years. [REVIEW] Philosophical Quarterly 56:614-6.
- Stewart Duncan (2005). Hobbes's Materialism in the Early 1640s. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 13 (3):437 – 448.
- Stewart Duncan (2005). Knowledge of God in Leviathan. History of Philosophy Quarterly 22 (1):31-48.
- Stewart D. R. Duncan (2003). Hobbes: Metaphysics and Method. Dissertation, Rutgers the State University of New Jersey - New Brunswick
- Stewart Duncan, Toland and Locke in the Leibniz-Burnett Correspondence.
- Stewart Duncan, The Letters in the Philosophical Letters.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: