- Faculty, York University
- PhD, Boston University, 2008.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
I am an Associate Professor of Philosophy in the Department of Philosophy at York University (Toronto, Canada) and a member of the York Graduate Faculty. I work in ethical theory, and in social and political philosophy; my current research topics include forgiveness, reconciliation, reparation and apology, as well as the philosophy of Hannah Arendt. I also have interests in the politics of sexuality. I completed my PhD in the Philosophy Department at Boston University. Previously, I studied at Queen's University (Canada) and Cambridge University (UK).
- Alice MacLachlan & C. Allen Speight (eds.) (forthcoming). Justice, Responsibility, and Reconciliation in the Wake of Conflict. Springer.
- Alice MacLachlan (2012). Closet Doors and Stage Lights. Social Theory and Practice 38 (2):302-332.
- Alice MacLachlan (2012). Forgiveness. By Eve Garrard and David McNaughton. (Acumen Publishing Ltd, 2010. Pp. Xi + 132. Price £9.99.). Philosophical Quarterly 62 (247):435-438.
- Alice MacLachlan (2011). Relating After Wrongdoing: A Review of Forgiveness From a Feminist Perspective. By Kathryn Norlock and Making Amends: Atonement in Morality, Law and Politics. By Linda Radzik. [REVIEW] Hypatia 26 (4):851-857.
- Alice MacLachlan (2010). Mirrors to One Another: Emotions and Moral Value in Jane Austen and David Hume, E. M. Dadlez. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2010 (2).
- Alice MacLachlan (2010). Resentment and Moral Judgment in Smith and Butler. The Adam Smith Review 5:161-177.
- Alice MacLachlan (2010). The State of 'Sorry': Official Apologies and Their Absence. [REVIEW] Journal of Human Rights 9 (3):373-385.
- Alice MacLachlan (2010). Unreasonable Resentments. Journal of Social Philosophy 41 (4):422-441.
- Alice MacLachlan (2009). Moral Powers and Forgivable Evils. In Kathryn Norlock & Andrea Veltman (eds.), Evil, Political Violence and Forgiveness: Essays in Honor of Claudia Card. Lexington.
- Alice MacLachlan (2009). Practicing Imperfect Forgiveness. In Lisa Tessman (ed.), Feminist Ethics and Social and Political Philosophy: Theorizing the Non-Ideal. Springer.
- Alice MacLachlan (2008). Forgiveness and Moral Solidarity. In Stephen Bloch-Shulman & David White (eds.), Forgiveness: Probing the Boundaries. Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Alice MacLachlan (2008). The Nature and Limits of Forgiveness. Dissertation, Boston University
- Alice MacLachlan (2007). The Object of Repair: Commentary on Margaret Urban Walker’s ‘Restorative Justice and Reparations'. Symposium on Race, Gender and Philosophy 3 (2).
- Alice MacLachlan, An Ethic of Plurality: Reconciling Politics and Morality in Hannah Arendt. History and Judgment: IWM JVF Conference Vol. 21.
- Steven Burns & Alice MacLachlan (2004). Getting It: On Jokes and Art. AE: Journal of the Canadian Society of Aesthetics 10.
- Alice MacLachlan, Government Apologies to Indigenous Peoples.
- Alice MacLachlan, The Philosophical Controversy Over Political Forgiveness.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Click here to configure this browser for off-campus access.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: