- Faculty, University of Cincinnati
- PhD, Stanford University, 2007.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
My primary research interests are in the areas of philosophy of biology, philosophy of science, and history of philosophy of science. Much of my work is inspired by an appreciation for the complexity of the world's causal processes, and an interest in how scientific practice is shaped by grappling with that complexity.
I am especially interested in topics related to the methodology of population biology, especially evolutionary and behavioral ecology; the role of idealized models in biology and science more generally; scientific explanation; how gender and other social factors influence science; and the history of logical empiricism.
- Angela Potochnik (forthcoming). Causal Patterns and Adequate Explanations. Philosophical Studies:1-20.
- Francis Cartieri & Angela Potochnik (2013). Toward Philosophy of Science's Social Engagement. Erkenntnis:1-16.
- Angela Potochnik (2013). Biological Explanation. In Kostas Kampourakis (ed.), The Philosophy of Biology: A Companion for Educators. Springer. 49-65.
- Angela Potochnik (2013). Defusing Idealogical Defenses in Biology. BioScience 63 (2):118-123.
- J. Christopher Hunt, Kareem Khalifa, Ryan Muldoon, Tony Smith, Michael Weisberg, Michelle G. Gibbons, Elliott O. Wagner, Andreas Wagner, Angela Potochnik & Brian McGill (2012). 1. On Ad Hoc Hypotheses On Ad Hoc Hypotheses (Pp. 1-14). Philosophy of Science 79 (1).
- Angela Potochnik (2012). Feminist Implications of Model-Based Science. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 43 (2):383-389.
- Angela Potochnik (2012). Modeling Social and Evolutionary Games. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C 43 (1):202-208.
- Angela Potochnik & Brian McGill (2012). The Limitations of Hierarchical Organization. Philosophy of Science 79 (1):120-140.
- Erika Milam, Roberta L. Millstein, Angela Potochnik & Joan Roughgarden (2011). Sex and Sensibility: The Role of Social Selection. Metascience 20 (2):253-277.
- Angela Potochnik (2011). A Neurathian Conception of the Unity of Science. Erkenntnis 74 (3):305-319.
- Angela Potochnik (2011). Explanation and Understanding. European Journal for Philosophy of Science 1 (1):29-38.
- Angela Potochnik (2010). Explanatory Independence and Epistemic Interdependence: A Case Study of the Optimality Approach. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 61 (1):213-233.
- Angela Potochnik (2010). Levels of Explanation Reconceived. Philosophy of Science 77 (1):59-72.
- Angela Potochnik (2009). Optimality Modeling in a Suboptimal World. Biology and Philosophy 24 (2):183-197.
- Angela Potochnik (2007). Optimality Modeling and Explanatory Generality. Philosophy of Science 74 (5):680-691.
- Angela Potochnik & Audrey Yap (2006). Revisiting Galison's 'Aufbau/Bauhaus' in Light of Neurath's Philosophical Projects. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 37 (3):469-488.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: