- Faculty, North Carolina State University
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 2006.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
I work primarily in the areas of metaphysics and ethics, with special reference to the German philosophical tradition (esp. Leibniz, Kant, and Schopenhauer).
- Stephen Puryear (forthcoming). Finitism, Divisibility, and the Beginning of the Universe: Replies to Loke and Dumsday. Australasian Journal of Philosophy:1-6.
- Stephen Puryear (forthcoming). Schopenhauer on the Rights of Animals. European Journal of Philosophy.
- Stephen Puryear (forthcoming). Sentience, Rationality, and Moral Status: A Further Reply to Hsiao. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics:1-8.
- Stephen Puryear (2014). Finitism and the Beginning of the Universe. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 92 (4):619-629.
- Stephen Puryear (2014). Rescher, Nicholas., Leibniz and Cryptography: An Account on the Occasion of the Initial Exhibition of the Reconstruction of Leibniz’s Cipher Machine. [REVIEW] Review of Metaphysics 67 (4):882-884.
- Stephen Puryear (2013). Frege on Vagueness and Ordinary Language. Philosophical Quarterly 63 (250):120-140.
- Stephen Puryear (2013). Idealism and Scepticism: A Reply to Brueckner. Theoria 79 (1):290-293.
- Stephen Puryear (2013). Leibniz on the Metaphysics of Color. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 86 (2):319-346.
- Stephen Puryear (2013). The Leibniz-De Volder Correspondence, with Selections From the Correspondence Between Leibniz and Johann Bernoulli, Ed. P. Lodge. [REVIEW] The Leibniz Review 23:165-169.
- Stephen Puryear (2012). Leibniz's Alleged Ambivalence About Sensible Qualities. Studia Leibnitiana 44:229-45.
- Stephen Puryear (2012). Motion in Leibniz's Middle Years: A Compatibilist Approach. Oxford Studies in Early Modern Philosophy 6:135-170.
- Stephen Puryear (2010). Monadic Interaction. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 18 (5):763-796.
- Stephen Puryear (2010). Review of Daniel Garber, Leibniz: Body, Substance, Monad. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2010 (8).
- Stephen Puryear (2009). Review of Janice Thomas, The Minds of the Moderns: Rationalism, Empiricism and Philosophy of Mind. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
- Paul Lodge & Stephen Puryear (2006). Unconscious Conceiving and Leibniz's Argument for Primitive Concepts. Studia Leibnitiana 38 (2):177 - 196.
- Stephen Puryear (2006). Perception and Representation in Leibniz. Dissertation, University of Pittsburgh
- Stephen Puryear (2005). Was Leibniz Confused About Confusion? The Leibniz Review 15:95-124.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: