- Faculty, University of Alabama, Birmingham
- PhD, University of California at Santa Barbara, 2011.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
My philosophical views
Most of my research is on moral and epistemic thought, reasoning, and motivation (what you might call "normative psychology"). I try to figure out what's going on in our heads when we think about what to do and what to believe. In July of 2011, I began a 3-year position at Monash University in Australia. This was cut a year short, however, to start as an Assistant Professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in August of 2013.
- Matt King & Joshua May (forthcoming). Moral Responsibility and Mental Illness. In N. Levy, M. Griffiths & K. Timpe (eds.), Routledge Companion to Free Will. Routledge
- Timothy Allen & Joshua May (2014). Does Opacity Undermine Privileged Access? International Journal of Philosophical Studies 22 (4):617-629.
- Joshua May (2014). Does Disgust Influence Moral Judgment? Australasian Journal of Philosophy 92 (1):125-141.
- Joshua May (2014). Moral Judgment and Deontology: Empirical Developments. Philosophy Compass 9 (11):745-755.
- Joshua May (2014). On the Very Concept of Free Will. Synthese 191 (12):2849-2866.
- Joshua May (2014). Review of Just Babies by Paul Bloom. [REVIEW] Metapsychology 18 (33).
- Jason Shepard & Joshua May (2014). Does Belief in Dualism Protect Against Maladaptive Psycho-Social Responses to Deep Brain Stimulation? An Empirical Exploration. American Journal of Bioethics Neuroscience 5 (4):40–42.
- Joshua May (2013). Because I Believe It's the Right Thing to Do. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 16 (4):791-808.
- Joshua May (2013). Skeptical Hypotheses and Moral Skepticism. Canadian Journal of Philosophy 43 (3):341-359.
- Joshua May, Empirical Work in Moral Psychology. Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Joshua May & Richard Holton (2012). What in the World is Weakness of Will? Philosophical Studies 157 (3):341–360.
- Joshua May (2011). Egoism, Empathy, and Self-Other Merging. Southern Journal of Philosophy 49 (s1):25-39.
- Joshua May, Psychological Egoism. Internet Encyclopeida of Philosophy.
- Joshua May (2011). Relational Desires and Empirical Evidence Against Psychological Egoism. European Journal of Philosophy 19 (1):39–58.
- Joshua May (2010). Review of Experimental Philosophy Ed. By Knobe & Nichols. [REVIEW] Philosophical Psychology 23 (5):711-715.
- Joshua May, Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, Jay G. Hull & Aaron Zimmerman (2010). Practical Interests, Relevant Alternatives, and Knowledge Attributions: An Empirical Study. Review of Philosophy and Psychology 1 (2):265–273.
- Joshua May (2009). Review of Richard Holton's Willing, Wanting, Waiting. [REVIEW] Metapsychology 13 (23).
- Joshua May (2009). Review of A Very Bad Wizard: Morality Behind the Curtain by Tamler Sommers. [REVIEW] Metapsychology 13 (53).
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: