- Faculty, Saddleback College
- PhD, University of Wales, Cardiff, 2006.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
I am Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Chair of Philosophy and Humanties at Saddleback College, in Mission Viejo CA. I finished my Ph.D (thesis: "Cartesian Skepticism about the External World") at Cardiff University, under the direction of Christopher Norris. In that thesis, I defend such skepticism against epistemic and semantic objections. Generally speaking, I conclude that philosophical skepticism is true, such that, although we can have justified beliefs about the extenral world, they do not amount to knowledge.
- Basil Smith (2013). Epistemology, by Ian Evans and Nicholas Smith. [REVIEW] Teaching Philosophy 36 (2):204-209.
- Basil Smith, Internalism and Externalism in the Philosophy of Mind and Language. Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Basil Smith (2012). Affect, Rationality, and the Experience Machine. Ethical Perspectives 19 (2):268-276.
- Basil Smith (2011). Can We Test the Experience Machine? Ethical Perspectives 18 (1):29-51.
- Basil Smith (2007). The Sense of the Past: Essays in the History of Philosophy. [REVIEW] Review of Metaphysics 60 (3):696-698.
- Basil Smith (2006). Epistemic Luck, by Duncan Pritchard. [REVIEW] International Journal of Philosophical Studies 14 (2):291-295.
- Basil Smith (2006). John Locke, Personal Identity and Memento. In Mark T. Conard (ed.), The Philosophy of Neo-Noir. University of Kentucky Press.
- Basil Smith (2002). A Middle Way to God. [REVIEW] International Philosophical Quarterly 42 (1):138-139.
- Basil Smith (2001). Davidson, Irrationality and Ethics. Philosophy Today 45 (3):242-253.
- Basil Smith (2001). Mark Timmons, Morality Without Foundations: A Defense of Ethical Contextualism. [REVIEW] Journal of Value Inquiry 35 (2):269-273.
- Basil Smith (2001). Necessity, Volition, and Love Harry G. Frankfurt New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998, Xii + 180 Pp., $54.95, $17.95 Paper. [REVIEW] Dialogue 40 (02):411-.
- Basil Smith (1999). Defending Theistic Proofs. [REVIEW] Philo 2 (2):58-63.
- Basil Smith (1999). Wittgenstein's Thought in Transition, by Dale Jacquette. [REVIEW] Metaphilosophy 40 (4):373-378.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Click here to configure this browser for off-campus access.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: