- Faculty, Saddleback College
- PhD, University of Wales, Cardiff, 2006.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
I am Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Chair of Philosophy and Humanties at Saddleback College, in Mission Viejo CA. I finished my Ph.D (thesis: "Cartesian Skepticism about the External World") at Cardiff University, under the direction of Christopher Norris. In that thesis, I defend such skepticism against epistemic and semantic objections. Generally speaking, I conclude that philosophical skepticism is true, such that, although we can have justified beliefs about the extenral world, they do not amount to knowledge.
- Basil Smith (2013). Epistemology, by Ian Evans and Nicholas Smith. [REVIEW] Teaching Philosophy 36 (2):204-209.
- Basil Smith, Internalism and Externalism in the Philosophy of Mind and Language. Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Basil Smith (2012). Affect, Rationality, and the Experience Machine. Ethical Perspectives 19 (2):268-276.
- Hanno Sauer, Basil Smith & Jeremy Watkins (2011). Christopher Martin is a Researcher in the Faculty of Medicine and a Lecturer in the Faculty of Education at Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada. A Former School Principal, His Central Area of Research is Moral Philosophy and the Ethical and Political Foundations of Education. Email: Chris. Martin@ Med. Mun. Ca. [REVIEW] Ethical Perspectives 18 (1):163.
- Basil Smith (2011). Can We Test the Experience Machine? Ethical Perspectives 18 (1):29-51.
- Jeremy Watkins, Basil Smith, Christopher Martin, Renate Pilapil & Hanno Sauer (2011). Matching Well-Being to Merit: The Example of Punishment. Ethical Perspectives 18 (1):5-27.
- B. Smith (2010). Relativism, Disagreement and Predicates of Personal Taste. In François Recanati, Isidora Stojanovic & Neftali Villanueva (eds.), Context-Dependence, Perspective and Relativity. Mouton de Gruyter. 195--225.
- B. Smith (2009). Taste, Philosophical Perspectives. In Hal Pashler (ed.), Encyclopedia of the Mind. Sage Publications.
- B. Smith & B. Klagges (2008). Bioinformatics and Philosophy. In Barry Smith & Katherine Munn (eds.), Applied Ontology: An Introduction. ontos. 17-30.
- Basil Smith (2007). The Sense of the Past: Essays in the History of Philosophy. [REVIEW] Review of Metaphysics 60 (3):696-698.
- Basil Smith (2006). Epistemic Luck, by Duncan Pritchard. [REVIEW] International Journal of Philosophical Studies 14 (2):291-295.
- Basil Smith (2006). John Locke, Personal Identity and Memento. In Mark T. Conard (ed.), The Philosophy of Neo-Noir. University of Kentucky Press.
- Basil Smith (2002). A Middle Way to God. [REVIEW] International Philosophical Quarterly 42 (1):138-139.
- Basil Smith (2001). Davidson, Irrationality and Ethics. Philosophy Today 45 (3):242-253.
- Basil Smith (2001). Mark Timmons, Morality Without Foundations: A Defense of Ethical Contextualism. [REVIEW] Journal of Value Inquiry 35 (2):269-273.
- Basil Smith (2001). Necessity, Volition, and Love Harry G. Frankfurt New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998, Xii + 180 Pp., $54.95, $17.95 Paper. [REVIEW] Dialogue 40 (02):411-.
- B. Smith & A. Cevolini (1999). Deferenza testuale. Divus Thomas 102 (3):92-116.
- Basil Smith (1999). Defending Theistic Proofs. [REVIEW] Philo 2 (2):58-63.
- Basil Smith (1999). Wittgenstein's Thought in Transition, by Dale Jacquette. [REVIEW] Metaphilosophy 40 (4):373-378.
- B. Smith (1992). Le Strutture Del Mondo Del Senso Comune. Iride 9:17-39.
- Basil Smith, Cartesian Scepticism About the External World, Semantic or Content Externalism, and the Mind.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Click here to configure this browser for off-campus access.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: