- Faculty, Louisiana State University
- PhD, University of Notre Dame, 2014.
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
My philosophical views
I'm Charles Pence, an assistant professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at LSU. For more information, see my website.
- Charles H. Pence (forthcoming). Is Genetic Drift a Force? Synthese:1-22.
- Charles H. Pence, Charles Darwin and Sir John F. W. Herschel: Nineteenth-Century Science and its Methodology.
- Charles H. Pence, Putting Process and Product Conceptions of Natural Selection and Genetic Drift to the Test.
- Charles H. Pence, The Conflation of "Chance" in Evolution.
- Grant Ramsey & Charles H. Pence (eds.) (forthcoming). Chance in Evolution. University of Chicago.
- Charles H. Pence (2015). Military Genomic Testing: Proportionality, Expected Benefits, and the Connection Between Genotypes and Phenotypes. Journal of Law and the Biosciences 2 (1):85-91.
- Charles H. Pence (2015). The Early History of Chance in Evolution. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 50:48-58.
- Charles H. Pence (2015). The Many Chances of Charles Darwin. [REVIEW] Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 53:107-110.
- Charles H. Pence & Grant Ramsey (2015). Is Organismic Fitness at the Basis of Evolutionary Theory? Philosophy of Science 82 (5):1081-1091.
- Charles H. Pence (2013). Staffan Müller-Wille and Hans-Jörg Rheinberger.A Cultural History of Heredity. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2012. Pp. Xiii+218. $45.00. [REVIEW] Hopos: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science 3 (1):168-172.
- Charles H. Pence & Grant Ramsey (2013). A New Foundation for the Propensity Interpretation of Fitness. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 64 (4):851-881.
- Grant Ramsey & Charles H. Pence (2013). Fitness: Philosophical Problems. eLS.
- Charles H. Pence & Lara Buchak (2012). Oyun: A New, Free Program for Iterated Prisoner’s Dilemma Tournaments in the Classroom. Evolution Education and Outreach 5 (3):467-476.
- Hope Hollocher, Agustin Fuentes, Charles H. Pence, Grant Ramsey, Daniel John Sportiello & Michelle M. Wirth (2011). On the Origin of Stories: Evolution, Cognition, and Fiction. [REVIEW] Quarterly Review of Biology 86 (2):137-138.
- Charles H. Pence (2011). “Describing Our Whole Experience”: The Statistical Philosophies of W. F. R. Weldon and Karl Pearson. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 42 (4):475-485.
- Charles H. Pence (2011). Nietzsche’s Aesthetic Critique of Darwin. History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 33 (2):165-190.
- Charles H. Pence, Hope Hollocher, Ryan Nichols, Grant Ramsey, Edwin Siu & Daniel John Sportiello (2011). Elliott Sober: Did Darwin Write the Origin Backwards? Philosophical Essays on Darwin's Theory. [REVIEW] Philosophy of Science 78 (4):705-709.
- Grant Ramsey, Hope Hollocher, Agustin Fuentes, Charles H. Pence & Edwin Siu (2010). Darwinian Populations and Natural Selection. [REVIEW] Quarterly Review of Biology 85 (4):499-500.
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: