- Graduate student, George Mason University
Areas of specialization
Areas of interest
Not much to say..
- John Bishop & Ken Perszyk (forthcoming). Divine Action Beyond the Personal omniGod. Oxford Studies in Philosophy of Religion.
- John Bishop (2014). Causal Pluralism and the Problem of Natural Agency. Res Philosophica 91 (3):527-536.
- John Bishop (2013). Evidence and Religious Belief, by Kelly James Clark and Raymond J. VanArragon (Eds). Mind 122 (486):fzt054.
- John Bishop (2013). The Argument From Evil and the God of 'Frightening' Love. Sophia 52 (1):45-49.
- John Bishop (2012). Exercising Control in Practical Reasoning: Problems for Naturalism About Agency. Philosophical Issues 22 (1):53-72.
- John Bishop (2011). Thompson , Michael . Life and Action: Elementary Structures of Practice and Practical Thought . Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2008. Pp. 240. $44.00 (Cloth). [REVIEW] Ethics 122 (1):212-220.
- John Bishop & Ken Perszyk (2011). The Normatively Relativised Logical Argument From Evil. International Journal for Philosophy of Religion 70 (2):109-126.
- J. Bishop (2010). Knowledge of God, by Alvin Plantinga and Michael Tooley. Mind 118 (472):1163-1168.
- John Bishop (2010). Faith. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- John Bishop (2010). Secular Spirituality and the Logic of Giving Thanks. Sophia 49 (4):523-534.
- John Bishop (2009). Paul J. Zak, Ed., Moral Markets: The Critical Role of Values in the Economy. [REVIEW] Philosophy in Review 29:445-447.
- John Bishop (2009). Paul K. Moser the Elusive God: Reorienting Religious Epistemology. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008). Pp. XI+292. £45.00 (Hbk). Isbn 978 0 521 88903. [REVIEW] Religious Studies 45 (4):504-509.
- John Bishop (2009). Review of Rolfe King, Obstacles to Divine Revelation: God and the Reorientation of Human Reason. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2009 (10).
- John Bishop (2009). Towards a Religiously Adequate Alternative to Omnigod Theism. Sophia 48 (4):419-433.
- Melissa Barry, John Bishop, Benjamin Bradley, Sarah Buss, Ben Caplan, Erik Carlson, John Carriero, Peter Carruthers, C. A. J. Coady & Marian David (2007). The Editors of Philosophy and Phenomenological Research Thank the Members of the Editorial Board and the Following Scholars, Who Have Served as Referees During the Period of October 2006 Through July 2007. [REVIEW] Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 75 (3).
- John Bishop (2007). Believing by Faith: An Essay in the Epistemology and Ethics of Religious Belief. Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press ;.
- John Bishop (2007). How a Modest Fideism May Constrain Theistic Commitments: Exploring an Alternative to Classical Theism. Philosophia 35 (3-4):387-402.
- John Bishop (2007). Terry L. Price, Understanding Ethical Failures in Leadership. [REVIEW] Philosophy in Review 27:289-290.
- John Bishop (2006). The Philosophy of Religion: A Programmatic Overview. Philosophy Compass 1 (5):506–534.
- John Bishop (2005). On the Possibility of Doxastic Venture: A Reply to Buckareff. Religious Studies 41 (4):447-451.
- John Bishop (2004). Review of Berent En, How We Act: Causes, Reasons and Intentions. [REVIEW] Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2004 (9).
- John Bishop & Imran Aijaz (2004). 'How to Answer the "de Jure" Question About Christian Belief. International Journal for Philosophy of Religion 56 (2/3):109 - 129.
- John D. Bishop (2003). Prospects for a Naturalist Libertarianism: O'Connor's Persons and Causes. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 66 (1):228-243.
- J. Bishop (2002). Faith with Reason. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 80 (1):130-131.
- John Bishop (2002). Faith as Doxastic Venture. Religious Studies 38 (4):471-487.
- J. Bishop (2001). McCANN, HJ-The Works of Agency. Philosophical Books 42 (3):232-232.
- John Bishop (2001). Book Review. Arguing for Atheism. An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion Robin le Poidevin. [REVIEW] Mind 110 (438):497-501.
- J. Bishop (1999). Peter Forrest, God Without the Supernatural. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 77 (1):106-107.
- John Bishop (1998). Can There Be Alternative Concepts of God? Noûs 32 (2):174-188.
- John Bishop (1998). Matthew H. Kramer, John Locke and the Origins of Private Property: Philosophical Explorations of Individualism, Community, and Equality. [REVIEW] Philosophy in Review 18:354-356.
- John Bishop (1998). The Act Itself. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 58 (4):979-983.
- John Bishop (1997). On J.J.C. Smart and J.J. Haldane's Atheism and Theism. Sophia 36 (1):38-52.
- John D. Bishop (1996). Moral Motivation and the Development of Francis Hutcheson's Philosophy. Journal of the History of Ideas 57 (2):277-295.
- John Bishop (1995). Deciding to Believe: The Ethics and Rationality of Religious Belief. Sophia 34 (1):9-31.
- John D. Bishop (1995). Adam Smith's Invisible Hand Argument. Journal of Business Ethics 14 (3):165 - 180.
- John Bishop (1993). Explaining Human Action. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 53 (3):726-731.
- John Bishop (1993). Evil and the Concept of God. Philosophical Papers 22 (1):1-15.
- John D. Bishop (1993). Book Reviews. [REVIEW] Journal of Business Ethics 12 (1):373-377.
- John D. Bishop (1993). Compatibilism and the Free Will Defense. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 71 (2):104-20.
- John Bishop (1991). Causation. Review of Metaphysics 45 (2):431-433.
- John D. Bishop (1991). The Moral Responsibility of Corporate Executives for Disasters. Journal of Business Ethics 10 (5):377 - 383.
- John Bishop (1990). Natural Agency: An Essay on the Causal Theory of Action. Cambridge University Press.
- John Bishop (1990). Searle on Natural Agency. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 68 (3):282 – 300.
- Daniel R. Gilbert & John D. Bishop (1990). Book Reviews. [REVIEW] Journal of Business Ethics 9 (10):373-377.
- John Bishop (1989). Alan Donagan: "Choice: The Essential Element in Human Action". [REVIEW] Australasian Journal of Philosophy 67:375.
- John Bishop (1988). Is a Unified Science of the Mind-Brain Possible? Biology and Philosophy 3 (3):375-391.
- John Bishop (1988). Vico and Joyce and Joyce Scholarship. New Vico Studies 6:133-142.
- John Bishop (1987). Evident, but Rationally Unacceptable, Earl Conee. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 65 (4).
- John Bishop (1987). Sensitive and Insensitive Responses to Deviant Action. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 65 (4):452 – 469.
- John Bishop (1986). Sajama, Seppo. Idea, Judgement and Will, University of Turku, Finland, 1983, Reports From the Department of Theoretical Philosophy. Theoria 52 (1-2):98-117.
- John D. Bishop (1986). Is Agent-Causality a Conceptal Primitive? Synthese 67 (May):225-47.
- J. Bishop (1985). ELSTER, J.: "Sour Grapes: Studies in the Subversion of Rationality". [REVIEW] Australasian Journal of Philosophy 63:245.
- John Bishop (1985). Causal Deviancy and Multiple Intentions: A Reply to James Montmarquet. Analysis 45 (3):163 - 168.
- John Bishop (1984). Theism, Morality and the 'Why Should I Be Moral?' Question. International Journal for Philosophy of Religion 16 (3):3 - 21.
- J. Bishop (1983). MILLIGAN, D.: "Reasoning and the Explanation of Actions". [REVIEW] Australasian Journal of Philosophy 61:114.
- John D. Bishop (1983). Agent-Causation. Mind 92 (January):61-79.
- John Bishop (1981). Peacocke on Intentional Action. Analysis 41 (2):92 - 98.
- John D. Bishop (1980). More Thought on Thought and Talk. Mind 89 (January):1-16.
- John D. Bishop (1980). The Analogy Theory of Thinking. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 58 (September):222-238.
- John Bishop, Things and Places: How the Mind Connects with the World, by Zenon Pylyshyn. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2007. Pp. Xiv + 255. H/B £25.95, $34.00. [REVIEW]
Is this list right?
Using PhilPapers from home?
Create an account to enable off-campus access through your institution's proxy server.
Monitor this page
Be alerted of all new items appearing on this page. Choose how you want to monitor it: