Linked bibliography for the SEP article " James Mill" by Terence Ball
James Mill's works
- (1818) The History of British India, 3 vols., London: Baldwin, Craddock and Joy.
- (1821) Elements of Political Economy, London: Baldwin, Craddock and Joy.
- (1828) Essays on
- Liberty of the Press
- Prisons and Prison Discipline
- Law of Nations
London: J. Innes [all except Colonies and Law of Nations are reprinted in Mill 1992]
- (1829a) Analysis of the Phenomena of the Human Mind, 2 vols., 2nd ed., London: Longman, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1869.
- (1829b) James Mill to Etienne Dumont, 13 July 1829, MS Dumont, Bibliothèque Publique et Universitaire, Geneva, MS 76, fos 30–31 at 31. (Scholar)
- (1835) A Fragment on Mackintosh, London: Baldwin and Craddock
- (1992) James Mill: Political Writings, Terence Ball (ed.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Other primary sources
- Macaulay, Thomas Babington, 1829, “Mill on Government,” Edinburgh Review, No. 97 (March 1829), repr. in Mill 1992, 271–303. (Scholar)
- Mill, John Stuart, 1843, Letter to Auguste Comte, 28 January 1843, in Mill, Collected Works, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1963–89), XIII, 566. (Scholar)
- –––, 1961, The Early Draft of John Stuart Mill's Autobiography, Jack Stillinger (ed.), Urbana: University of Illinois Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 1873, Autobiography, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1969. (Scholar)
- Bain, Alexander, 1882, James Mill: A Biography, London: Longmans Green & Co.. (Scholar)
- Ball, Terence, 1995, Reappraising Political Theory: Revisionist Studies in the History of Political Thought, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Barry, Brian, 1970, Sociologists, Economists and Democracy, London: Collier-Macmillan. (Scholar)
- Fenn, Robert A., 1987, James Mill's Political Thought, New York and London: Garland Publishing. (Scholar)
- Halévy, Elie, 1955, The Growth of Philosophic Radicalism, Boston: Beacon Press. (Scholar)
- Hamburger, Joseph, 1965, James Mill and the Art of Revolution, New Haven: Yale University Press. (Scholar)
- Plamenatz, John, 1966, The English Utilitarians, Oxford: Basil Blackwell. (Scholar)
- Ryan, Alan, 1972, “Two Concepts of Politics and Democracy: James and John Stuart Mill,” in Martin Fleisher (ed.), Machiavelli and the Nature of Political Thought, pp. 76–113, New York: Atheneum. (Scholar)
- Schumpeter, Joseph, 1954, History of Economic Analysis, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Stimson, Shannon C., and Murray Milgate, 1993, “Utility, Property, and Political Participation: James Mill on Democratic Reform,” American Political Science Review, 87(4): 901–911. (Scholar)
- Thomas, William, 1969, “James Mill's Politics: The ‘Essay on Government’ and the Movement for Reform,” Historical Journal, 12(2): 249–84. (Scholar)
- –––, 1979, The Philosophical Radicals. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)