Linked bibliography for the SEP article "Maimonides" by Kenneth Seeskin
This is an automatically generated and experimental page
If everything goes well, this page should display the bibliography of the aforementioned article as it appears in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but with links added to PhilPapers records and Google Scholar for your convenience. Some bibliographies are not going to be represented correctly or fully up to date. In general, bibliographies of recent works are going to be much better linked than bibliographies of primary literature and older works. Entries with PhilPapers records have links on their titles. A green link indicates that the item is available online at least partially.
This experiment has been authorized by the editors of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The original article and bibliography can be found here.
- Munk, S. and Joel, I. (eds.), Dalalat ha‘irin, S.
Munk and I. Joel (eds.), Jersualem: Janovitch, 1929.
- Pines, S. (tr.), The Guide of the Perplexed, Chicago:
University of Chicago Press, 1963. Cited as [GP]. (Scholar)
- Kafih, Y. (tr.), Moreh Nevukhim, Jerusalem: Mosad
ha-Rav Kook, 1972.
- Schwarz, M. (tr.), Moreh Nevukhim, Tel Aviv: Tel
Aviv University Press, 2002.
- Frankel, S. (ed.), Mishneh Torah, 12 vols.,
Jerusalem: Jerusalem: Hotzaat Shabse Frankel, 2000.
Cited as [MT]. (Scholar)
- Hershman, A. (tr.), The Code of Maimonides, Book Fourteen: The
Book of Judges, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1949.
- Hyamson, M. (tr.), Maimonides: The Book of Knowledge,
Jerusalem: Feldheim, 1974.
- Twersky, I. (ed.), A Maimonides Reader, West Organge, N.J.:
Behrman House, 1972.
- Weis R. and Butterworth, C. (eds.), The Ethical Writings of
Maimonides, New York: Butterworth, 1975.
- Halkin, A. and Hartman, D. (eds.), Crisis and Leadership:
Epistles of Maimonides, Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society,
- Davidson, Herbert, 1979. “Maimonides Secret Position on
Creation,” in I. Twersky (ed.), Studies in Medieval Jewish
History and Literature, Cambridge: Harvard University Press,
pp. 16–40. (Scholar)
- –––, 1987. “The Middle Way in Maimonides'
Ethics,” Proceedings of the American Academy for Jewish
Research, 54: 41–44. (Scholar)
- –––, 2005. Moses Maimonides, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Davies, Daniel, 2011. Method and Metaphysics in
Maimonides' Guide for the Perplexed, New York: Oxford University
- Feldman, Seymour, 1990. “Abravanel on Maimonides'
Critique of the Kalam,” Maimonidean Studies, 1:
- Fox, Marvin, 1990. Interpreting Maimonides, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1990, pp. 251–296. (Scholar)
- Frank, Daniel, 1990. “Anger as a Vice: A Maimonidean Critique of Aristotle's Ethics,” History of Philosophy Quarterly, 7: 269–281 (Scholar)
- Harvey, Warren Z., 1981. “A Third Approach to Maimonides' Cosmology
Prophetology Puzzle,” Harvard Theological Review, 74:
- Hyman, Arthur, 1988. “Maimonides on Creation and Emanation,”
in J. F. Whippel (ed.), Studies in Medieval Philosophy,
Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, pp.
- Ivry, Alfred, 1991. “Leo Strauss and Maimonides,” in A, Udoff
(ed.) Leo Strauss' Thought, Boulder: Reinner, pp.
- Kellner, Menachem, 1986. Dogma In Medieval Jewish
Philosophy, New York: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 1999. Must a Jew Believe Anything?, London: Littman Library of Jewish Civilization. (Scholar)
- –––, 2006. Maimonides' Confrontation With Mysticism, Oxford: Littman Library of Jewish Civilization, 2006. (Scholar)
- Kraemer, Joel, 2005. “Moses Maimonides: An Intellectual Portrait,” in K. Seeskin (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Maimonides, New York: Cambridge University Press, pp. 10–57. (Scholar)
- –––, 2008. Maimonides: The Life and World of
One of Civilizations Greatest Minds, New York: Doubleday. (Scholar)
- Manekin, Charles, 2005. On Maimonides, Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. (Scholar)
- Ravitzky, Aviezer, 1981. “Samuel Ibn Tibbon and the
Esoteric Character of the Guide of the Perplexed,”
AJS Review, 6: 87–123. (Scholar)
- –––, 1990. “The Secrets of
Maimonides,”, in I. Twersky (ed.), Studies in
Maimonides, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Center for Jewish
Studies, pp. 159–207. (Scholar)
- –––, 2005. “Maimonides: Esotericism and Educational Philosophy,” in K. Seeskin (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Maimonides, New York: Cambridge University Press, pp. 300–323. (Scholar)
- Schwarzschild, Steven S., 1990. “Moral Radicalism and
‘Middlingness’ in the Ethics of Maimonides,” in
M. Kellner (ed.), The Pursuit of the Ideal, Albany: SUNY
Press, pp. 137–160. (Scholar)
- Seeskin, Kenneth, 2000. Searching for a Distant God, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 177–188. (Scholar)
- –––, 2005. Maimonides on the Origin of the World, New York: Cambridge University Press, 2005. (Scholar)
- Stern, Josef, 2013. The Matter and Form of Maimonides' Guide,
Cambridge: Harvard University Press. (Scholar)
- Strauss, Leo, 1952. “The literary Character of the Guide for the
Perplexed,” in Persecution and the Art of Writing,
Glencoe, IL: The Free Press. (Scholar)
- Stroumsa, Sarah, 2009. Maimonides in His World, Princeton: Princeton University Press. (Scholar)
- Wolfson, Harry, 1973. Studies in the History of Philosophy and Religion, in I. Twersky and G. H. Williams (eds.), Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, pp. 207–221. (Scholar)