Linked bibliography for the SEP article "
Charles Sanders Peirce" by Robert Burch
This is an automatically generated and experimental page
If everything goes well, this page should display the bibliography of the aforementioned article as it appears in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but with links added to PhilPapers records and Google Scholar for your convenience. Some bibliographies are not going to be represented correctly or fully up to date. In general, bibliographies of recent works are going to be much better linked than bibliographies of primary literature and older works. Entries with PhilPapers records have links on their titles. A green link indicates that the item is available online at least partially.
This experiment has been authorized by the editors of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The original article and bibliography can be found here.
- Collected Papers of Charles Sanders Peirce, 8
vols. Edited by Charles Hartshorne, Paul Weiss, and Arthur W. Burks
(Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1931–1958;
vols. 1–6 edited by Charles Harteshorne and Paul Weiss,
1931–1935; vols. 7–8 edited by Arthur W. Burks,
- The Essential Peirce, 2 vols. Edited by Nathan Houser,
Christian Kloesel, and the Peirce Edition Project (Indiana University
Press, Bloomington, Indiana, 1992, 1998).
- The New Elements of Mathematics by Charles S. Peirce,
Volume I Arithmetic, Volume II Algebra and Geometry, Volume III/1 and
III/2 Mathematical Miscellanea, Volume IV Mathematical Philosophy.
Edited by Carolyn Eisele (Mouton Publishers, The Hague, 1976).
- Historical Perspectives on Peirce's Logic of Science: A History
of Science, 2 Parts. Edited by Carolyn Eisele (de Gruyter
& Co., Berlin, 1985).
- Pragmatism as a Principle and Method of Right Thinking: the
1903 Harvard Lectures on Pragmatism by Charles Sanders Peirce.
Edited, Introduced, and with a Commentary by Patricia Ann Turrisi
(State University of New York Press, Albany, New York, 1997). (Scholar)
- Reason and the Logic of Things: The Cambridge Conferences
Lectures of 1898. Edited by Kenneth Laine Ketner (Harvard
University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1992).
- Semiotic and Significs: The Correspondence between Charles S. Peirce
and Victoria Lady Welby. Edited by Charles S. Hardwick (Bloomington:
Indiana University Press, 1977).
- Writings of Charles S. Peirce: a Chronological Edition,
Volume I 1857–1866, Volume II 1867–1871, Volume III
1872–1878, Volume IV 1879–1884, Volume V
1884–1886, Volume VI 1886–1890,
Volume VIII 1890–1892. Edited by the Peirce Edition
Project (Indiana University Press, Bloomington, Indiana, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1989,
1993, 2000, 2010). (Scholar)
- Peirce, Charles S. (Editor), 1883, 1983, Studies in
Logic, Introduction by Max Fisch, Preface by Achim Eschenbach,
Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company. (Scholar)
Work by Others
- Baldwin, James Mark, 1901–1905, Dictionary of Philosophy
and Psychology, 3 volumes, New York: The Macmillan Company. (Scholar)
- Dewey, John, 1916, Essays in Experimental Logic, Chicago, Ill.: University of Chicago Press. (Scholar)
- Dewey, John, 1938, Logic: The Theory of Inquiry, New York: H. Holt. (Scholar)
- Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, The Phenomenology of Mind, tr.,
intro, and notes by J. B. Baillie, New York: The Macmillan Company, 1910.
- Kant, Immanuel, Critique of Pure Reason, tr. by Norman Kemp Smith,
New York: The Macmillan Company, 2003.
- Schiller, Friedrich, On the Aesthetic Education of Man, in a
Series of Letters, tr. and intro. by Reginald Snell, New York:
F. Unger Publishing Company, 1965.
- Schroeder, Ernst, Vorlesungen über die Algebra der Logik
(exakte Logik), 3 volumes, Bronx, N. Y.: Chelsea Publishing
- Burch, Robert, 1991, A Peircean Reduction Thesis: Foundations of Toplogical Logic, Lubbock, TX: Texas Tech University Press. (Scholar)
- Dipert, Randall R., 1994, “The Life and Logical Contributions of O. H. Mitchell, Peirce's Gifted Student,” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 30 (3): 515–542. (Scholar)
- Eisele, Carolyn, 1979, Studies in the Scientific and Mathematical
Philosophy of Charles S. Peirce, The Hague: Mouton. (Scholar)
- Hacking, Ian, 1990, The Taming of Chance, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, especially Chapter 23. (Scholar)
- Houser, Nathan, Roberts, Don D., and Van Evra, James, (eds.),
1997, Studies in the Logic of Charles Sanders Peirce, Bloomington and
Indianapolis: Indiana University Press. (Scholar)
- Houser, Nathan, 2005, “The Scent of Truth,” Semiotica, 153 (1/4): 455–466. (Scholar)
- Hudry, Jean-Louis, 2004, “Peirce's Potential Continuity and Pure Geometry,” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 40 (2): 229–243. (Scholar)
- Hurvich, Dorothea Jameson, 1971, “Ladd-Franklin, Christine
(Dec. 1, 1847–Mar. 5, 1930,” in Notable American
Women: 1607–1950, Edward T. James, Janet Wilson James, and
Paul S.Boyer (Eds.), Radcliffe College. (Scholar)
- Ketner, Kenneth Laine, 1998, His Glassy Essence: An Autobiography of Charles S. Peirce, Volume 1, Nashville, TN: University of Vanderbilt Press. (Scholar)
- Ketner, Kenneth Laine, (ed.), 1995, Peirce and Contemporary Thought: Philosophical Inquiries, New York: Fordham University Press. (Scholar)
- Martin, R. M., (ed.), 1979, Studies in the Scientific and
Mathematical Philosophy of Charles S. Peirce: Essays by Carolyn
Eisele, The Hague: Mouton. (Scholar)
- Marty, Robert, 1990, L'algèbra des signes,
Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Marty, Robert, 1982, “C. S. Peirce's Phaneroscopy and Semiotics,” Semiotica, 41 (1/4): 169–181. (Scholar)
- Mayo, Deborah G., 1996, Error and the Growth of Experimental Knowledge, Chicago: University of Chicago Press. (Scholar)
- Mayo, Deborah G., 2005, “Peircean Induction and the Error-Correcting Thesis,” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 41 (2): 299–319. (Scholar)
- McLaughlin, Thomas G., 2004, “C. S. Peirce's Proof of Frobenius' Theorem on Finite-Dimensional Real Associative Division Algebras,” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 40 (2): 701–710. (Scholar)
- Paavola, Sami, 2004, “Abduction Through Grammar, Critic, and Methodeutic,” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 40 (2): 245–270. (Scholar)
- Pietarinen, Ahti-Veikko, 2005, Signs of Logic: Peircean Themes
on the Philosophy of Language, Games, and Communication,
Dordrecht: Springer. (Scholar)
- Pollard, Stephen, 2005, “Some Mathematical Facts about Peirce's Games,” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 41 (1): 189–201. (Scholar)
- Quieroz, João and Merrell, Floyd, 2005, “Abduction: Between
Subjectivity and Objectivity,” Semiotica, 153 (1/4): 1–7. (Scholar)
- Royce, Josiah, 1959, The World and the Individual, First Series, New York: Dover. (Scholar)
- Russinoff, I. Susan, 1999, “The Syllogism's Final Solution,” The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, 5 (4): 451–469. (Scholar)
- Thayer, H. S., 1952, The Logic of Pragmatism: an Examination of John Dewey's Logic. New York: Humanities Press. (Scholar)
- Thayer, H. S., 1973, Meaning and Action: A Critical Exposition of American Pragmatism, Indianapolis: Indiana University Press. (Scholar)