Linked bibliography for the SEP article "Porphyry" by Eyjólfur Emilsson
Porphyry's works and fragments can now be found in an electronic version in the original Greek in the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae collection. These are based on the best available editions. Below is a list of some translations of Porphyry's works, mostly into English, followed by a list of some secondary literature, mostly in English. There is considerable recent literature on Porphyry in other languages, especially Italian and French.
- Porphyry's Introduction, translated with a Commentary by J. Barnes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Porphyry. On Aristotle's Categories, translated by Steven K. Strange, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1992.
- Launching-Points to the Realm of Mind, translated by K. Guthrie, Grand Rapids, MI: Phanes Press, 1988. (This is what has been called the Sententiae above.)
- Sentences, Greek text, French tranlation, interpretative essays and extensive commentary by Luc Brisson, et al., 2 volumes, Paris: Librairie philosophique J. Vrin, 2005.
- To Gaurus on how embryos are ensouled and On what is in our power, translated by James Wilberding, London: Bristol Classical Papers, 2011.
- Porphyry Against the Christians (Studies in Platonism, Neoplatonism, and the Platonic Tradition, 1), translated with notes by Robert M. Berchman, Leiden: Brill, 2005.
- Porphyry's Against the Christians: The Literary Remains, translated by R.J. Hoffmann, Guildford: Promotheus Books, 1994.
- Porphyry's Letter to His Wife Marcella Concerning the Life of Philosophy and the Ascent to the Gods, translated by Alice Zimmern, Grand Rapids, MI: Phanes Press, 1989.
- Porphyry, the Philosopher, to Marcella, text and translation with introduction and notes by Kathleen O'Brien Wicker, Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1987.
- On abstinence from killing animals, translated by Gillian Clark, London: Duckworth, 2000.
- The Homeric Questions, edited and translated by R. Schlunk, New York: P. Lang, 1993. (Greek text and translation.)
- Porfirio, Sullo Stige. Testo greco a fronte, 99, edited with commentary in Italian by C. Castelletti, Milan: I edizione Bompiani, 2006.
- Porphyry on the Cave of the Nymphs, translated by R. Lamberton, Barrytown, NY: Midpoint Trade Books Inc., 1983. (Contains also the Greek text.)
- Bechtle, G., 1999, The Anonymous Commentary on Plato's ‘Parmenides’, Bern: Haupt. (Scholar)
- Bidez, J., 1913, Vie de Porphyre, Ghent: E. van Goethem. (Scholar)
- Chiaradonna, R., 2002, Sostanza, Movimento, Analogia: Plotino critico di Aristotele, Naples: Bibliopolis. (Scholar)
- Deuse, W., 1983, Untersuchungen zur mittelplatonischen und neuplatonischen Seelenlehre, Wiesbaden: Franz Steiner. (Scholar)
- Ebbesen, S., 1990, “Porphyry's legacy to logic”, in R. Sorabji, Aristotle Transformed—The Ancient Commentators and their Influence, London: Duchworth, pp. 141–171. (Scholar)
- Edwards, M.J., 1990, “Porphyry and the Intelligible Triad”, Journal of Hellenic Studies, CX: 14–25. (Scholar)
- Evangeliou, C., 1988, Aristotle's Categories and Porphyry, Leiden: Brill. (Scholar)
- Griffin, M., 2012, “What Does Aristotle Categorize?: Semantics and the Early Perpatetic Reading of the Categories”, Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies, 55(1): 69–108. (Scholar)
- Hadot, P., 1999, Plotin: Porphyre—études néoplatoniciennes, Paris: Les belles lettres. (Scholar)
- –––, 1968, Porphyre et Victorinus, 2 volumes, Paris: Études augustinniennes. (Contains among other things the text of the anonymous Parmenides commentary and extensive discussion of Porphyry's thought and its surroundings.) (Scholar)
- Haase, W., 1987, Aufstieg und Niedergang der Römischen Welt II.36.2, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter. (Scholar)
- Karamanolis, G., 2006, Plato and Aristotle in Agreement? Platonists on Aristotle from Antiochus to Porphyry, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Karamanolis, G., and A. Sheppard, 2007, Studies on Porphyry, London: Institute of Classical Studies, University of London. (Scholar)
- Smith, A., 1987, “Porphyrian Studies since 1913”, in Haase 1987, pp. 717–773. (Scholar)
- –––, 1974, Porphyry's Place in the Neoplatonic Tradition—A Study in post-Plotinian Neoplatonism, The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff. (Scholar)
- Sorabji, R. (ed.), 1990, Aristotle Transformed, Ithaca, NY: Cornell Unviveristy Press. (Articles on Porphyry, Aristotle and logic.) (Scholar)
- Strange, S. K., 1992, ‘Introduction’ to Porphyry: On Aristotle's Categories, London: Duckworth. (Scholar)
- –––, 1987, “Plotinus, Porphyry, and the Neoplatonic Interpretation of the Categories”, in Haase 1987, pp. 955–974. (Scholar)