Linked bibliography for the SEP article " Sidney Hook" by David Sidorsky
Bibliographical Note: A complete bibliography of the writings of Sidney Hook from his initial publication in 1922 through 1980 has been compiled by Jo-Ann Boydston and Kathleen Poulos. This bibliography is published in Sidney Hook: Philosopher of Democracy and Humanism, edited by Paul Kurtz. This bibliography, which has been updated through 1988 by Matthew J. Cotter, is reprinted in Sidney Hook Reconsidered, edited by Matthew J. Cotter.
- 1927, The Metaphysics of Pragmatism, Chicago: Open Court Pub. Co.
- 1933, Toward the Understanding of Karl Marx: A Revolutionary Interpretation, New York: John Day Co.
- 1934 (ed.), The Meaning of Marx [Symposium by Bertrand Russell, John Dewey, Morris R. Cohen, Sherwood Eddy, and Sidney Hook], New York: Farrar and Rinehart.
- 1936, From Hegel to Marx: Studies in the Intellectual Development of Karl Marx, New York: John Day Co.
- 1939, John Dewey: An Intellectual Portrait, New York: John Day Co.
- 1943, The Hero in History, New York: John Day Co.
- 1946, Education for Modern Man, New York: Dial Press.
- 1952, Heresy, Yes – Conspiracy, No, New York: American Committee for Cultural Freedom.
- 1960, “Pragmatism and the Tragic Sense of Life,” Commentary 30 (1960), pp 139–149. (Scholar)
- 1961, The Quest for ‘Being,’ New York: St. Martin's Press. (Scholar)
- 1962, Paradoxes of Freedom, Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1975, Paul Kurtz and Miro Todorovich (ed.), The Philosophy of the Curriculum, Buffalo: Prometheus Books.
- 1987, Out of Step: An Unquiet Life in the 20th Century, New York: Harper & Row.
- Capaldi, Nicholas, 1983, “Sidney Hook: A Personal Portrait,” in Kurtz 1983, pp. 17–27. (Scholar)
- Cotter, Matthew J. (ed.), 2004, Sidney Hook Reconsidered, Amherst, New York: Prometheus Books. (Scholar)
- Konvitz, Milton R., 1983, “Sidney Hook: Philosopher of the Moral-Critical Intelligence,” in Kurtz 1983, pp. 3-6. (Scholar)
- Kristol, Irving, “Life with Sidney: A Memoir,” in Kurtz 1983. (Scholar)
- Kurtz, Paul (ed.), 1968, Sidney Hook and the Contemporary World, New York: John Day and Co. (Scholar)
- Kurtz, Paul (ed.), 1983, Sidney Hook: Philosopher of Democracy and Humanism, Buffalo: Prometheus Books. [This Festschrift for Sidney Hook's eightieth birthday contains four essays on Hook's person and writings.] (Scholar)
- Kurtz, Paul, 1983a, “Preface: The Impact of Sidney Hook in the Twentieth Century,” in Kurtz 1983. (Scholar)
- Phelps, Christopher, 1962, Foreword to Sidney Hook, From Hegel to Marx: Studies in the Intellectual Development of Karl Marx, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, pp. 1–11. (Scholar)
- Phelps, Christopher, 1997, Young Sidney Hook: Marxist and Pragmatist, Ithaca: University of Cornell. (Scholar)
- Ryan, Alan, 2002, Foreword to Sidney Hook, Sidney Hook on Pragmatism, Democracy, and Freedom: The Essential Essays, (Robert B. Talisse and Robert Tempio (eds.), Amherst: Prometheus Books, pp. 9–10. (Scholar)
- Sidorsky, David, 2003, “Charting the Intellectual Career of Sidney Hook: Five Major Steps” in Partisan Review, Volume 70, Number 2, pp. 324–342. [This is a slightly edited version of the essay which is printed as the Introduction to Matthew J. Cotter's collection of essays, Sidney Hook Reconsidered.] (Scholar)
Generated Sun Mar 9 06:03:13 2014