Linked bibliography for the SEP article "
Principle of Sufficient Reason" by Yitzhak Melamed and Martin Lin
This is an automatically generated and experimental page
If everything goes well, this page should display the bibliography of the aforementioned article as it appears in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but with links added to PhilPapers records and Google Scholar for your convenience. Some bibliographies are not going to be represented correctly or fully up to date. In general, bibliographies of recent works are going to be much better linked than bibliographies of primary literature and older works. Entries with PhilPapers records have links on their titles. A green link indicates that the item is available online at least partially.
This experiment has been authorized by the editors of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The original article and bibliography can be found here.
- Euler, Leonhard, Letters to a German Princess in
E. Watkins (ed.), Kant's Critique of Pure Reason: Background
Source Materials, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009,
- Hegel, G.W.F., The Encyclopedia Logic, translated by
T.F. Geraets, W.A. Suchting, and H.S. Harris. Indianapolis: Hackett,
- Hume, David, Treatise of Human Nature, 2nd
edition. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1978.
- Kant, Immanuel, Kants gesammelte Schriften,
Königlichen Preußischen (later Deutschen) Akademie der
Wissenschaften edition, Berlin: Georg Reimer (later Walter De
- Leibniz, G.W., Sämtliche Schriften und Briefe,
Deutsche Akademie der Wissenschaften. Multiple volumes in 7 series.
Berlin: Akademie Verlag. Abbreviated [A], cited by series,
volume, and page.
- –––, Philosophical Essays, translated
by Roger Ariew and Daniel Garber. Indianapolis: Hackett, 1989.
Abbreviated [AG]. (Scholar)
- Maimon, Salomon, Essay on Transcendental Philosophy,
translated by Nick Midgley, Henry Somers-Hall, Alistair Welchman, and
Merten Reglitz, London: Continuum, 2010.
- Schopenhauer, Arthur, On the Fourfold Root of the Principle
of Sufficient Reason, translated by E.F.J. Payne. Indianapolis:
- Spinoza, Benedict, Spinoza Opera, edited by Carl
Gebhardt. Heidelberg: Carl Winter Verlag, 1925.
- –––, The Collected Works of Spinoza
(Volume 1), translated and edited by Edwin Curley, Princeton: Princeton
University Press, 1985.
- Wolff, Christian, Rational Thoughts on God, the World and the
Soul of Human Beings (1720), in Eric Watkins (ed.),
Kant's Critique of Pure Reason: Background Source
Materials, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, 7–53. (Scholar)
- Belot, Gordon, 2001, “The Principle of Sufficient Reason,” Journal of Philosophy, 97: 55–74. (Scholar)
- Carraud, Vincent, 2002, Causa sive Ratio: la Raison de la Cause,
de Suarez à Leibniz, Paris: PUF. (Scholar)
- Cover, J.A., and O'Leary-Hawthorne, John, 1999,
“Sufficient Reason and the Identity of Indiscernibles,”
in Substance and Individuation in Leibniz, Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press. (Scholar)
- Della Rocca, Michael, 2008, Spinoza, New York: Routledge. (Scholar)
- –––, 2010, “PSR,” Philosophers'
Imprint, 10 (July), URL =
- Gurr, John E., 1959, The Principle of Sufficient Reason in Some Scholastic Systems, 1750–1900, Milwaukee: Marquette University Press. (Scholar)
- Longuenesse, Béatrice, 2009, “Kant's Deconstruction of the Principle of Sufficient Reason” in Kant on the Human Standpoint, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 117–142. (Scholar)
- Pruss, Alexander R., 2006, The Principle of Sufficient Reason: A Reassessment, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (Scholar)
- Wiggins, David, 1996, “Sufficient Reason: A Principle in Diverse Guises, both Ancients and Modern,” Acta Philosophica Fennica, 61: 117–32. (Scholar)