Linked bibliography for the SEP article "
The History of Utilitarianism" by Julia Driver
This is an automatically generated and experimental page
If everything goes well, this page should display the bibliography of the aforementioned article as it appears in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but with links added to PhilPapers records and Google Scholar for your convenience. Some bibliographies are not going to be represented correctly or fully up to date. In general, bibliographies of recent works are going to be much better linked than bibliographies of primary literature and older works. Entries with PhilPapers records have links on their titles. A green link indicates that the item is available online at least partially.
This experiment has been authorized by the editors of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The original article and bibliography can be found here.
- Bentham, Jeremy, 1789 [PML]. An Introduction to the Principles of
Morals and Legislation., Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1907.
- –––, 1785 [OAO]. “Offences Against
Oneself.” Louis Compton (ed.), The Journal of
Homosexuality, 3(4) (1978): 389–406, 4(1): 91–107..
- Cooper, Anthony Ashley (3rd Earl of
Shaftesbury), 1711 [IVM]. Inquiry Concerning Virtue or
Merit, in Characteristics of Men, Manners, Opinions and
Times, excerpts reprinted in Raphael 1969.
- Cumberland, Richard, 1672. De Legibus Naturae Disquisitio
Philosophica, London. English translation by John Maxwell, A
Treatise of the Laws of Nature, 1727, reprinted New York,
Garland, 1978. (Scholar)
- Gay, John, 1731. A Dissertation Concerning the Fundamental
Principle and Immediate Criterion of Virtue in Frances
King's An Essay on the Origin of Evil, London. (Scholar)
- Hume, David, 1738. A Treatise of Human Nature, edited by L. A. Selby-Bigge, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1978. (Scholar)
- Hutcheson, Francis, 1725. An Inquiry into the Original of our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue, London; excerpts reprinted in Raphael 1969. (Scholar)
- Mill, John Stuart, 1843. A System of Logic, London: John W. Parker. (Scholar)
- –––, 1859. On Liberty, London: Longman, Roberts & Green. (Scholar)
- –––, 1861 [U]. Utilitarianism, Roger
Crisp (ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Moore, G. E., 1903 [PE]. Principia Ethica, Amherst, New
York: Prometheus Books, 1988.
- Price, Richard, 1758 [PE]. A Review of the Principle Questions
in Morals, London: T. Cadell in the Strand, 1787.
- Raphael, D. D., 1969 [R]. British Moralists, in two
volumes, London: Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- Crisp, Roger, 1997. Mill on Utilitarianism., London:
- Darwall, Stephen, 1995. Hume and the Invention of
Utilitarianism, University Park, PA: Penn State University
- Donner, Wendy, 1991. The Liberal Self: John Stuart Mill's Moral and Political Philosophy, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 2011. “Morality, Virtue, and Aesthetics in Mill's Art of Life,” in Ben Eggleston, Dale E. Miller, and David Weinstein (eds.) John Stuart Mill and the Art of Life, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Driver, Julia, 2004. “Pleasure as the Standard of Virtue
in Hume's Moral Philosophy.” Pacific Philosophical
Quarterly., 85: 173–194. (Scholar)
- –––, 2011. Consequentialism, London: Routledge. (Scholar)
- Gill, Michael, 2006. The British Moralists on Human Nature and the Birth of Secular Ethics, New York: Cambridge University Press. (Scholar)
- Hruschka, Joachim, 1991. “The Greatest Happiness Principle and Other Early German Anticipations of Utilitarian Theory,” Utilitas, 3: 165–77. (Scholar)
- Long, Douglas, 1990. “‘Utility’ and the
‘Utility Principle’: Hume, Smith, Bentham, Mill,”
Utilitas, 2: 12–39. (Scholar)
- Rosen, Frederick, 2003. “Reading Hume Backwards: Utility as
the Foundation of Morals,” in Frederick Rosen (ed.),
Classical Utilitarianism from Hume to Mill, London: Routledge,
- Rosenblum, Nancy, 1978. Bentham's Theory of the Modern State, New York: Cambridge University Press. (Scholar)
- Ryan, Alan, 1990. The Philosophy of John Stuart Mill, Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books. (Scholar)
- Scarre, Geoffrey, 1996. Utilitarianism, London: Routledge. (Scholar)
- Schneewind, J. B., 1977. Sidgwick's Ethics and Victorian Moral Philosophy, Oxford: Clarendon Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 1990. “The Misfortunes of Virtue,” Ethics, 101: 42–63. (Scholar)
- Schofield, Philip, 2006. Utility and Democracy: the Political Thought of Jeremy Bentham, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Schultz, Bart, 2004. Henry Sidgwick, Eye of the Universe, New York: Cambridge University Press. (Scholar)
- Skorupski, John, 1989. John Stuart Mill, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. (Scholar)