In the profession
- All discussions (664)
- Paper discussions (135)
- In the profession (28)
- PhilJobs (6)
- About PhilPapers (177)
- Philosophy discussions (459)
- Epistemology (65)Metaphilosophy (30)Metaphysics (44)Philosophy of Action (23)Philosophy of Language (44)Philosophy of Mind (141)Philosophy of Religion (17)M&E, Misc (6)Value Theory (97)
- Aesthetics (12)Applied Ethics (25)Meta-Ethics (23)Normative Ethics (25)Philosophy of Gender, Race, and Sexuality (14)Philosophy of Law (4)Social and Political Philosophy (40)Value Theory, Miscellaneous (64)
- Logic and Philosophy of Logic (39)Philosophy of Biology (18)Philosophy of Cognitive Science (42)Philosophy of Computing and Information (8)Philosophy of Mathematics (39)Philosophy of Physical Science (14)Philosophy of Social Science (10)Philosophy of Probability (6)General Philosophy of Science (39)Philosophy of Science, Misc (7)
- Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy (11)Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy (1)17th/18th Century Philosophy (11)19th Century Philosophy (6)20th Century Philosophy (20)History of Western Philosophy, Misc (4)
- African/Africana Philosophy (2)Asian Philosophy (9)Continental Philosophy (12)European Philosophy (24)Philosophy of the Americas (4)Philosophical Traditions, Miscellaneous (3)Philosophy, Misc (14)
- Philosophy, Introductions and Anthologies (2)Philosophy, General Works (4)Teaching Philosophy (1)Philosophy, Miscellaneous (8)Other Academic Areas (20)
- Natural Sciences (2)Social Sciences (1)Cognitive Sciences (9)Formal Sciences (1)
1 - 20 / 28 2017-02-07Muhammad Asghari
university of Tabriz- Iran
Call for papers
Journal of Philosophical Investigations of University of Tabriz-Iran
Call for Papers
Volume 21 (autumn and winter), 2017
Deadline: Jul / Aug, 15, 2017
Word Limit: Articles range from 5000–10000 words
Open journal of Philosophical Investigations of University of Tabriz-Iran is an open access and peer-reviewed journal published by Department of Philosophy at University of Tabriz. The main objective of PI is to provide an intellectual platform for the international scholars in field of philosophy. PI aims to promote philosophical studies and investigations in philosophy. The journal publishes research papers in the fields of philosophy and branches of philosophy. Main topics may include research papers about:
- Moral Philosophy
- Political philosophy
- Philosophy of language
- Philosophy of religion
- Philosophy of science
- Philosophy of history
- Philosophy of mathematics
- Philosophy of mind
- Islamic philosophy
- Other related topics about phil ... (read more)
Åbo Akademi UniversityDear all,
We are calling on you for assistance in research on Open Access publishing in philosophy and related fields by asking you to respond to this electronic survey. This survey is directed at scholars as authors, readers, reviewers, customers, editors in the scholarly communication process. It will be open for responses until June 5, 2016.The aim of the survey is to further insights into Open Access (OA) awareness, attitudes, and sustainability issues in particular for independently run (non-publisher) OA journals.
The questionnaire should take no more than 10 minutes to fill in online (31 questions).
Please click on the link to participate >>> https://www.webropolsurveys.com/S/9564477211E527DE.par
Open Access is when research publications are made available for free over the Internet. Open Access is changing the world of scholarly publication, and it is in the interest of researchers and publishers alike to investigate the views of the researchers in planning for the models of pub ... (read more)
University of Western OntarioSomeone has just drawn my attention to TeachingPhilosophy 101, a comprehensive teaching resource for philosophers. This is a very useful project with comprehensive open source content.
2016-01-05Pick a challengeany challenge. You don't have to pick a big challenge to begin. Think in terms of improving one percent a day or even a weeksomething very attainable. For example, if you drink several cups of coffee or tea a day, but http://powerigfaustralia.net/pro-plus-garcinia/ http://promoteweightloss.blog.com/
Starting roughly from the 1870's, philosophical journals were the only means of rapidly disseminating knowledge and/or make available the results of one's research to the public. This situation lasted until internet developed. Now knowledge can be disseminated in a click, research can be made available instantly, communities can be formed in which the degree of interactivity surpasses everything mankind knew before. So the existence of philosophical journals does not justify anymore in terms of dissemination of knowledge or forum for research.
Philosophical journals have a very limited circulation and, instead of disseminating knowledge and research results, they store knowledge away from those who need it. In this way, only those living in Western countries, studying in major universities with rich libraries offering data-bases subscriptions can benefit.
The only justification for the existence of philosophical journals nowadays is "quality". What is being published in our ... (read more)Latest replies:
- Ian Stuart, 2015-04-21 : Interesting idea. The tension is between the free distribution of ideas and "quality"Peer review carrie... (read more)
- Haulianlal Guite, 2016-08-26 : Quality aside, even the quantity still seems a problem to me. I presume there must be thousands of peer-reviewed article... (read more)
İstanbul ili Sınırları İçerisinde evden eve nakliye ilçe semtlerinde ziyaretinde ofislerinizi taşımaktayız.İstanbul tum ziyaretinde nakliye hizmetini Ekonomik fiyatlarla Vermektedir.
İstanbul evden eve nakliyat işlerinde Nakliyat faziletli kalitesini hissedin. Geçmişten geleceğimize Kadar sınırsız faziletli A.Ş. Müşteri Odaklı calismayi kendine prensip etmiş müşterilerimizin ihtiyaçlarına Göre faziletli anlayışı sağlıyor ziyaretinde bu Yönde Müşteri Memnuniyeti garanti Altına alıyoruz.
Evden eve Nakliyat Eşya ofise ofisten, paketleme Depolama olmak Üzere Çeşitli Departmanında Geniş faziletli ağımızla Sizleri memnun etmek Bizim görevimizdir ettik.
Nakliyat Akzaman evden eve taşınma planlamasını MİNİMUM hata maksimum güvenceyle ziyaretinde Taşıma EV ziyaretinde yerleştirmenin nasıl yapılacağı KONUSUNDA uzmandır. Evden Eve Nakliyat ev taşımaya Başlamadan ÖNCE planning Dikkatli koordinasyon ziyaretinde Detayları Tespit edici Çalışmalar yapmaktadir.
İs ... (read more)
New York UniversityI really love the download spreadsheet feature!
One thing that would make it even more useful would be if the downloaded information included the PhilPapers assigned AOS/AOC information. As things stand, all you get is the description of the AOS and AOC provided by the advertising institution, which is informative but not very consistent (e.g. some say 'Ethics', some say 'Moral Philosophy', etc.), and thus hard to use to quickly answer questions like 'What are the most popular areas this year?'.
2013-11-02Daniel von Wachter
International Academy of PhilosophyHello, I have written a 'Short introduction to open access in philosophy' where I urge philosophers not to upload their articles to their homepage but to use PhilPapers. There is a longer text on this at open-access.net. I also make suggestions about open access for books. Comments and suggestions welcome.
Daniel von WachterLatest replies:
- Daniel von Wachter, 2013-11-04 : I have just changed my recommendations here a little bit, because I found that the search engines OAIster and BASE do no... (read more)
- Emmanuel Rens, 2013-11-04 : Ok got it! Everytime we can make Habermas lie we have to.
- David Bourget, 2013-12-17 : Thanks for making this helpful page.& You might want to mention that uploading your papers to PhilPapers has advant... (read more)
- Emmanuel Rens, 2014-07-20 : In Truth and justification Habermas seems to believe that philosophical paradigms are as clearly defined and important a... (read more)
Stanford UniversityDear PhilJobs administrators, thank you so much for creating a function whereby job seekers can download the listing information into a spreadsheet. I cheered when I saw it! However, the download spreadsheet function is not as useful as I had hoped, for several reasons:
- The date field does not translate consistently to Excel. Currently it downloads Nov 1 as "1/11/2013," and it downloads Nov 15 as "15-11-2013." This makes sorting job applications by deadline very difficult. Having lived in the UK and the US, I am comfortable with either format, but it ought to convert consistently to Excel. (I tried reformatting all the dates to DD-MON-YY, but then it just changes 1/11/13 to 11-Jan-2013.)
- The search function in the online listings offers various filters, but I don't see these in the spreadsheet. Possible to include them?
- job-type (faculty, post-doc, etc)
- contract-type (fixed, open, etc)
- The search function in the online listings also offers location. Would it be possible to include thi ... (read more)
KU LeuvenThank you very much for creating PhilJobs.
Would it be possible to add a widget creation wizard for PhilJobs (just as there is one for PhilEvents)?
Huaqiao UniversityThere isn't a category that perfectly suits this question, but here it goes. Could someone give me some advice on how to make diagrams or figures for a paper, of the sort you find frequently in science articles and the odd time in philosophy articles? I'd like to create a diagram consisting of circles, lines with arrows, and some text, though I've no idea how to do it.
- Ben Bronner, 2013-04-19 : Are you familiar with PowerPoint? I don't really have instructions for you, but that's how I make diagrams, and... (read more)
- Kevin Lynch, 2013-04-19 : OK thanks, I thought there might be a more specialized program people use, but I'll try that.
- István Zárdai, 2013-05-02 : You can use this program: http://gephi.org/ It can make very good looking graphs even for very simple comparisons... (read more)
- Jon Asper, 2014-06-23 : Microsoft Visio is the program you are thinking of. It is entirely dedicated to things like flow charts, etc.
2013-02-12The Witherspoon Institute is sponsoring the 8th annual Thomistic Seminar led by Professor John Haldane (University of St. Andrews) on themes in analytic and Thomistic philosophy, both modern and pre-modern. This year's seminar will study The Philosophy of Alasdair MacIntyre and Thomas Aquinas. Topics tentatively include The Nature of Philosophy, Truth and Objectivity, Human Nature, Morality, and Politics.
Professor Haldane will be joined by Professors Sarah Broadie (St. Andrews), David Solomon (Notre Dame), and Candace Vogler (Chicago). The seminar will take place August 4-10 in Princeton, New Jersey.
The seminar is open to graduate students in philosophy. Students in related disciplines, and who have a background in philosophy, may also apply. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2013.
For more information, including on how to apply, please visit http://www.winst.org/ethics_and_university/seminars/philosophy/index.php.
A flier for the seminar is available here: http://www.winst.org/ethics_an ... (read more)
University of Chicago
University of AmsterdamI'm thinking of writing a paper on Wittgenstein and my goal is to get the paper published in a peer reviewed journal of Philosophy. I also have a blog about Wittgenstein so I was thinking of posting each section of the paper on the blog as I write it. If I do this, will I still be able to submit the paper to academic journals? I'm asking because I know that academic journals don't accept papers that have been published elsewhere. I'm just not sure if appearing on a blog counts as being "published elsewhere."
it is a pleasure for me to inform you that we have arranged a new course at distance on Quantum Cognition. Please, visit our web site www.saistmp.com for details.
On the same site you find also details on a new at distance course on applications of Herat Rate Variability in psychophysiology. I retain it may be of interest.
New York University, ShanghaiThanks to all involved for a really useful service.
I am writing to recommend that an anti-discrimination policy be enforced by PhilJobs. For example, PhilJobs could adopt the APA Statement on Non-Discrimination, and either:
- Refuse to advertise these positions (my preferred option); or
- Allow them to be filtered out in search results.
It is a disgrace that the current issue of JFP includes the following disclaimer:
Due to technical problems resulting from our recent transition to new administrative software, we are unable to assure that all of the universities listed in this issue agree to abide by the APA's nondiscrimination policy. If you have any concerns about this, please investigate the individual institutions' policy before applying for a position....and it would be great if PhilJobs was able to help compensate.
2011-10-06Douglas W. Portmore
Arizona State UniversityThis is excellent thanks. Here are a couple of suggestions:
(1) It would be good if one could filter the search by rank or by whether the job is for either junior or senior level position.
(2) I would prefer it if it just listed all the search results on one page.
(3) I find PhilJobs a little more difficult to read than http://phylo.info/jobs. And Phylo jobs has certain nice features (like integration with Google Maps). Perhaps, the two teams could get together and collaborate. Philosophy needs a service like this, but we need just one service, not two.Latest replies:
- David Bourget, 2011-10-07 : Thanks for the suggestions.&Re (1), this is done using the 'contract type' option, which allows you to select te... (read more)
- Douglas W. Portmore, 2011-10-07 : Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding (1), I don't see how the contract type search function differentiates between... (read more)
- David Bourget, 2011-10-07 : Hi Douglas, if you tick only "continuing or permanent", you shouldn't get assistant professor jobs in the... (read more)
2011-04-16Desh Raj Sirswal
Post Graduate Govt. College for Girls-11, Panjab University, Chandigarh
Centre for Positive Philosophy and Interdisciplinary Studies (CPPIS), Pehowa (Kurukshetra)Centre for Positve Philosophy and Interdisciplinary Studies (CPPIS) worked on two documents i.e. Positive Philosophy for Contemporary Indian Society and Philosophy, Education and Indian Value System for online publication. We want to work on Research Methodology in Philosophy course. We need your help to draw an outline of course content which should be included in this course and suggestions for suggested readings/resources. This course will be a simple introduction for students of philosophy and will be helpful for students of graduate and postgraduate level. Always seeking your guidance and motivation for our work.
University of Chicago
University of AmsterdamI wish to know what scope there is in academic philosophy for amateur philosophers? By amateur philosopher, I mean anybody who is not a professional philosopher, anybody whose livelihood does not depend on philosophy. And by academic philosophy I mean the philosophical discourse and dialogue that takes place on the venue of academic journals of philosophy, philosophy conferences and philosophy books.
Being a professional philosopher is certainly not an official prerequisite for participating in the discourse of academic philosophy. Let's just consider the case of philosophy journals for now - publish their articles in peer reviewed journals of academic philosophy is an excellent way for philosophers to participate in the discourse of academic philosophy is to. But being a professional philosopher is certainly not a prerequisite for this. Journals publish articles based solely on the credentials of the submitted article rather than the credentials of the author (this is what is meant ... (read more)Latest replies:
- Jonathan Birch, 2011-03-28 : Hi Nikhil I think it depends on what you mean by "amateur philosopher".&On the one hand, some areas of philoso... (read more)
- Paul Taborsky, 2011-03-29 : Nikhil, It certainly is possible. I am an 'amateur' philosopher who has recently published an academic book in p... (read more)
- John Ivor Jones, 2012-01-02 : Jonathan's phrase "...complaining that they don't have enough time to do research" struck me. I submit... (read more)
University of Sydney
University of MelbourneIs there a reliable guide to the h-index that a philosophy researcher is likely to achieve through their career? Are there known issues with h-indices in philosophy (failure to pick up book chapters and citations therein)? I have been unable to find anything online or in print.Latest replies:
- Shahbazamin Shahbazamin, 2011-04-05 : hello sir acutually i make a site today kindly tell me about my site and i want to upgrade my site but kindly see and te... (read more)
- Terence Rajivan Edward, 2011-04-05 : Hi Shahbazamin Shahbazamin, I think your post did not quite engage with Good luck next time, Terence
1 - 20 / 28
loading ..Home | New books and articles | Bibliographies | Philosophy journals | Discussions | Article Index | About PhilPapers | API | Contact us
terms & conditions for details regarding the privacy implications).
Use of this site is subject to terms & conditions.
All rights reserved by The PhilPapers Foundation
Page generated Mon Mar 27 14:30:28 2017 on pp1