Back    All discussions

2016-07-11
Eros and Evolution

In a recent article “From Sexuality to Eroticism: The Making of the Human Mind” http://www.scirp.org/journal/AA/ I describe a new scenario for human evolution. Besides the well known topics of upright gait and explorative curiosity I dwell on the realm of erotic life. I do this in accordance with Owen Lovejoy’s pair-bonding hypothesis of human origins. In consequence of their upright gait early humans practiced frontal eye-to-eye copulation. In the beginning this was merely random and took place in the horde. But some females may have felt better with a specific male and thus looked for intimate relations with him. Here begins a sort of “emotional selection”, different from mere sexual selection for good genes. Through long-term bonds erotic feelings are intensified and extended onto higher-order emotions such as hope and jealousy. This scenario is confirmed by the fact that the development of the large brain of humans seems to be more in relation to emotional development than to technical faculties. Thus, eroticism in humans does not emerge causelessly but in consequence of intimacy, becoming in the long run more and more personal.

In a complementary article “Eroticism: Why it Still Matters” (http://www.scirp.org/journal/PSYCH/) I offer a more precise definition: Eroticism is the way humans transform the high energy of sexual desire into mental activity resulting in self-consciousness and mind reading. Different from Freud’s pansexualism I consider the connection between eroticism and consciousness as a formal one: both combine will and representation, presentational immediacy and symbolic reference. It is thus that eroticism has transformed animal procreational sexuality into eroticism, and can be considered a central factor in the evolution of personal identity.

2016-07-12
Eros and Evolution
You might enjoy Aristophanes' account of the origin of Love in Plato's Symposium. 

2016-07-12
Eros and Evolution
Reply to Mark Titus
Hi Mark,
yes, I enjoy Artistophanes very much. I even wrote about him in my last book in the chapter: "The myth of the division of the round creatures in Plato's Symposium". The book might interest you: The Couple. Intimate Relations in a New Key. Wien 2016 (LIT). Unfortunately my eroticism-hypothisis of human evolution meets with disapproval, probably for fear of sexuality. It is so difficult to explain the difference between sex and Eros since both are interrelated.
Best, FF

2016-07-14
Eros and Evolution

Re: “But some females may have felt better with a specific male and thus looked for intimate relations with him.”

I love these “may have” formulations.

Human consciousness, I believe, “may have” been the work of aliens from outer space who visited earth about 500,000 years ago, coached certain early hominids into consciousness, taught them language, and carefully left no trace of their visit. Indeed, the very absence of evidence suggests to me that this is true. It proves what advanced beings these visitors must have been: they knew how to remove all evidence of their visit.

I think this may also explain the occasional sightings of flying saucers in various parts of the world. The aliens may have decided to come back to earth now and then to see how their work is turning out.   

Consider the problem of human consciousness solved. It "may have" been a problem once, but is no longer.

DA

2016-10-05
Eros and Evolution
Is this any different from the widely accepted mate selection discussed by Darwin for many species, among many others reviewed and discussed by Geary et al.?
Maybe the difference is a belief that only humans experience emotions but this is far from established and therefore a serious burden to separating human and "other" mate selection.

2016-10-05
Eros and Evolution
Reply to John Hodgson

“Maybe the difference is a belief that only humans experience emotions but this is far from established…”

If our experience of what we call emotions is an aspect of our consciousness, and given that we only have access to our form of consciousness (and that we have no way of knowing, without making anthropocentric assumptions, whether the same term is even applicable to animals) how would we ever “establish” it anyway?

DA