Back    All discussions

2016-08-29
Mind as a natural consequence of a fundamentally irreversible world
In two recent papers (Journal of Modern Physics (open access) http://file.scirp.org/pdf/JMP_2016022617412899.pdf,   http://file.scirp.org/pdf/JMP_2016082414553470.pdf) I have shown that a fundamentally irreversible world (deduced from a dynamic interpretation of the principle of least action) not only eliminates paradoxes in quantum physics and cosmology, but also leads to maximum entropy production (within the constraints of the systems involved) in self-organized systems. Under such conditions also information systems can self-organize to develop consciousness and mind. Mind can thus be materialistically explained as a higher (self-organized) hierarchy compared to mere computation. 
In the second paper I have given three conditions for falsification of this theory. If, on the other hand, they cannot be demonstrated the presently established scientific concept of a fundamentally time invertible, reversible world is shown to be incorrect. This has dramatic consequences for understanding our world, evolution and the universe. 

Helmut Tributsch
www.helmut-tributsch.it

2016-08-30

Hi Helmut

RE: "Mind can thus be materialistically explained as a higher (self-organized) hierarchy".

I used to work in the bureaucracy. It was a “self-organized hierarchy” – I mean departments organised themselves – no one else did it for them.  How would that differ from consciousness on your definition?

DA 

2016-08-31
Reply to Derek Allan
Self-organized  phenomena are processes which occur far from equilibrium, involve feedback mechanisms and build up order at the expense of entropy formation (disorder). Life is such a phenomenon or a hurricane. Bacteria, with all their complicated chemical control mechanisms are a simple example. Their function is subject to a hierarchy above that of a simple chemical solution containing exactly the same chemicals (in absence of self-organization). If an information system is pushed sufficiently far from equilibrium it may equally start to self-organize and to function in a hierarchy above mere computation. To achieve such a condition there must be feedback processes involved and there must be a sufficiently high flow  of energy. Our brain is apparently providing such conditions and creating an information image of ourself, which allows us to better use information from memory and the environment and provides the ability to create what we understand as consciousness. 
Helmut Tributsch

2016-09-01

Hi Helmut

Thank you.  All of this seems to describe bureaucracies quite well. Which is not surprising, I suppose if, as you say, “life” is an example of a “self-organized phenomenon”. Most bureaucracies seem to show at least some signs of life.

Some even resemble hurricanes (your other example) – a tendency to leave chaos in their wake.

DA

2016-09-06
You are so f***ing profound, Helmut Tiributsch, that I am blown away.  I have been studying negative feedback systems and homeostasis for a number of years and your post has great relevance to me.  I am going to digest what you have written and respond further.  God bless you for your hard work and your brilliance and I am an a**h**** about profundity, who doesn't say that lightly (tho just a girl here amongst the men :-)). More later if allowed, and again thank you.  You are clearly quite accomplished. Best, Maria

2016-09-07
Feedback to Helmut Tributsch:  Part I

Self-organized phenomena are processes which occur far from equilibrium, involve feedback mechanisms and build up order at the expense of entropy formation (disorder).  

I have worked in a number of healthcare bureaucracies (autocorrect turned bureaucracy into beauty racket,  bureau crazy) - an interesting link to the actual meaning of the word. They are sufficiently acceptable cosmetically to those in need to draw customers until the victims become aware of the uglier underbelly and the extent to which they have been deceived by "smoke and mirrors," rather than actual help with the problem with which they needed assistance.  

I have repeatedly been forced out of these "systems" due to my ethics.  Because the overriding dark agenda of the power brokers ($$, disempowering the soulful populous) runs diametrically counter to the stated mission, individuals who work within who possess passionate forbearance and high levels of integrity for the actual cause (e.g., medicine/healing; law/justice), are attacked, some times aggressively, yet often subversively to the point that it is next to impossible to remain there intact with your ethics, your health, even your human rights and freedoms.

That said, please correct me if I'm wrong, I translated your statement above to mean that non-fractal, non-qualia based (if you will) dis-organizations, fascist blobs really, glued together by a shared dark agenda are vastly different than a group of individuals acting in concert, organized based upon shared constructive action powered by adherence to legitimate bright power channeled from the Creator.   These self-organized phenomena cause rather than heal problems, disease, disorder.  Their "homestasis" comes at great cost to the actual organisms of God upon which they prey, literally sucking the life out of that which legitimately is.