Linked bibliography for the SEP article "Beauty" by Crispin Sartwell
This is an automatically generated and experimental page
If everything goes well, this page should display the bibliography of the aforementioned article as it appears in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but with links added to PhilPapers records and Google Scholar for your convenience. Some bibliographies are not going to be represented correctly or fully up to date. In general, bibliographies of recent works are going to be much better linked than bibliographies of primary literature and older works. Entries with PhilPapers records have links on their titles. A green link indicates that the item is available online at least partially.
This experiment has been authorized by the editors of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The original article and bibliography can be found here.
- Aquinas, Thomas, Summa Theologica, Fathers of the English
Dominican Province, trans., London: Christian Classics, 1981
[13th century text].
- Augustine, Earlier Writings, J.H. Burleigh, ed., New
York: WJK Publishing, 1953 [4th/5th
century AD text].
- Aristotle, The Complete Works of Aristotle, in two
volumes, Jonathan Barnes, ed., Princeton: Princeton University Press,
1984 [4th century BCE text].
- Ayer, A.J., 1952, Language, Truth, and Logic, New York: Dover. (Scholar)
- Bell, Clive, 1914, Art, London: Chatto & Windus. (Scholar)
- Berkeley, Bishop George, 1732, Alciphron: or, The Minute
Philosopher, London: Tonson and Co. (Scholar)
- Bullough, Edward, 1912. “‘Psychical Distance’ as
a Factor in Art and as an Aesthetic Principle,” British
Journal of Psychology, 5. Widely anthologized, e.g., in Cahn,
Steven and Meskin, Aaron, 2008. Aesthetics: A Comprehensive
Anthology, Malden, MA: Blackwell. (Scholar)
- Burke, Edmund, 1757, A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. (Scholar)
- Carritt, E.F., 1931, Philosophies of Beauty, London: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Coomaraswamy, Ananda, 1977, Traditional Art and Symbolism
(Selected Papers, volume 1), Princeton: Bollingen. (Scholar)
- Croce, Benedetto, 1928, “Aesthetica in Nunc,” in
Philosophy, Poetry, History, Cecil Sprigge, trans., London:
Oxford University Press, 1966. (Scholar)
- Danto, Arthur, 2003, The Abuse of Beauty, Chicago: Open Court. (Scholar)
- Diogenes Laertius, The Lives and Opinions of Eminent
Philosophers, C.D. Yonge trans., New York: George Bell &
Sons, 1895 [3rd century CE text].
- Eco, Umberto, 1959, Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages, Hugh Bredin, trans., New Haven: Yale University Press, 1986. (Scholar)
- Hanslick, Eduard, 1891, The Beautiful in Music, Gustav Cohen, trans., London: Novello and Company. (Scholar)
- Hegel, G.W.F., 1835, Hegel's Aesthetics: Lectures on Fine
Art, in two volumes, T.M. Knox, trans., Oxford: Clarendon,
- Hume, David, 1757, “Of the Standard of Taste,” Essays Moral and Political, London: George Routledge and Sons, 1894. (Scholar)
- –––, 1740, A Treatise of Human Nature, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. (Scholar)
- Hutcheson, Francis, 1725, An Inquiry into the Original of our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue, Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2004. (Scholar)
- Kant, Immanuel, 1790, Critique of Judgement, J.H. Bernard, trans., New York: Macmillan, 1951. (Scholar)
- Kirwan, James, 1999. Beauty, Manchester: Manchester University Press. (Scholar)
- Moore, G.E., 1903, Principia Ethica, Mineola, NY: Dover, 2004. (Scholar)
- Mothersill, Mary, 1984, Beauty Restored, Oxford: Clarendon. (Scholar)
- Nehamas, Alexander, 2007, Only a Promise of Happiness: The Place of Beauty in a World of Art, Princeton: Princeton University Press. (Scholar)
- Plato, Collected Dialogues, Edith Hamilton and Huntington
Cairns, eds., Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1961
[4th century BCE text].
- Plotinus, The Six Enneads, Stephen McKenna and B.S. Page,
trans., Chicago: Encyclopedia Britannica Publishing, 1952
[3rd century CE text].
- Pollitt, J.J., 1974, The Ancient View of Greek Art, New Haven: Yale University Press. (Scholar)
- Pseudo-Dionysius, Works of Dionysius the Areopagite, John
Parker, trans., London: James Parker and Co., 1897 [originally
5th or 6th century CE].
- Santayana, George, 1896, The Sense of Beauty, New York: Scribner's. (Scholar)
- Sappho, The Poetry of Sappho, Jim Powell, trans., Oxford:
Oxford University Press, 2007 [7th or
6th century BCE text].
- Sartwell, Crispin, 2004, Six Names of Beauty, New York: Routledge (Scholar)
- Schiller, Friedrich, 1795, On the Aesthetic Education of Man, New York: Dover, 2004. (Scholar)
- Schopenhauer, Arthur, 1818, The World as Will and Idea, E.F.J. Payne, trans., New York: Dover, 1966. (Scholar)
- Scruton, Roger, 2009, Beauty, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. (Scholar)
- Shaftesbury, Third Earl of, 1738, “The Moralists, a
Philosophical Rhapsody, “ Characteristicks of Men, Manners,
Opinions, Times, Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2001. (Scholar)
- Vitruvius, On Architecture, Frank Granger, trans.,
Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1970 [originally 1st
- Wölfflin, Heinrich, 1932, Principles of Art History,
M.D. Hottinger, trans., New York: Dover, 1950. (Scholar)
- Xenophon, Memorabilia, E. C. Marchant, trans., Cambridge:
Harvard University Press, 1923 [4th century