Linked bibliography for the SEP article "Friedrich Hayek" by David Schmidtz and Peter Boettke
Primary Literature: Work by Hayek
- 1944, The Road to Serfdom, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1945, “The Use of Knowledge in Society,” American Economic Review, 35: 519–30. (Scholar)
- 1948, Individualism and Economic Order, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1952, The Counter-Revolution of Science, Glencoe,IL: Free Press.
- 1958, “Freedom, Reason, and Tradition,” Ethics, 68: 229–45. (Scholar)
- 1960, The Constitution of Liberty, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1969, Studies in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, London: Routledge.
- 1973/76/79, Law, Legislation, and Liberty, in 3 volumes, Chicago: University of Chicago Pres).
- 1978a, “Coping with Ignorance,” Imprimis, 7: 1–6. (Scholar)
- 1978b, New Studies in Philosophy, Politics, Economics, and the History of Ideas, London: Routledge.
- 1988, The Fatal Conceit: The Errors of Socialism, W. W. Bartley III (ed.), Volume 1 of The Collected Works of F. A. Hayek, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
In addition to the sources below, as a general reference, see the Review of Austrian Economics.
- Boettke, Peter J., 1995. “Hayek’s Road to Serfdom Revisited: Government Failure in the Argument Against Socialism,” Eastern Economic Journal, 21: 7–26. (Scholar)
- Buchanan, James M., and Gordon Tullock, 1962. A Calculus of Consent, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. (Scholar)
- Burczak, Theodore, 2009. Socialism After Hayek, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. (Scholar)
- Caldwell, Bruce J., 2004. Hayek’s Challenge: An Intellectual Biography of F.A. Hayek, University of Chicago Press. (Scholar)
- Critical Review, 1997. Special Issue on F. A. Hayek, 11: 1. (Scholar)
- Feser, Edward (ed.), 2006. The Cambridge Companion to Hayek, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (Scholar)
- Gray, John, 1984. Hayek on Liberty, Oxford: Basil Blackwell. (Scholar)
- Machlup, Fritz (ed.), 1976. Essays on Hayek, Hillsdale: Hillsdale College Press. (Scholar)
- Mises, Ludwig, 1949. Human Action, New Haven: Yale University Press. (Scholar)
- Munger, Michael, 2013. “They Clapped: Can Price-Gouging Laws Prohibit Scarcity?” See below, under “Other Internet Resources” (Scholar)
- Nozick, Robert, 1974. Anarchy, State, and Utopia, New York: Belknap. (Scholar)
- Pennington, Mark, 2011. Robust Political Economy, Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar. (Scholar)
- Rawls, John, 1955. “Two Concepts of Rules,” The Philosophical Review, 64: 3–32. (Scholar)
- –––, 1971. A Theory of Justice, Cambridge: Harvard University Press. (Scholar)
- Shearmur, Jeremy, 1996. Hayek and After: Hayekian Liberalism as a Research Programme, London: Routledge. (Scholar)
- Smith, Adam, 1790. Theory of Moral Sentiments, Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 1984. (Scholar)
- Tebble, Adam, 2015. Epistemic Liberalism: a Defense, London: Routledge (Scholar)
- Zwolinski, Matt, 2008. “The Ethics of Price-Gouging,” Business Ethics Quarterly, 18: 347–78. (Scholar)