Linked bibliography for the SEP article "The Pure Theory of Law" by Andrei Marmor
Kelsen’s academic publications span over almost seven decades in which he published dozens of books and hundreds of articles. Only about a third of this vast literature has been translated to English. Kelsen’s two most important books on the pure theory of law are the first edition of his Reine Rechtslehre, published in 1934 and recently (2002) translated. The second edition, which Kelson published in 1960 (translated in 1967) is a considerably extended version of the first edition. In addition, most of the themes in these two books also appear in Kelsen’s General Theory of Law and State. These three works are cited in text as follows:
|[PT1]||1934/2002. Introduction to the Problems of Legal Theory, B.L. Paulson and S.L. Paulson, trans., Oxford: Clarendon Press.|
|[PT2]||1960/1967. Pure Theory of Law, M. Knight, trans., Berkeley: University of California Press.|
|[GT]||1945/1961. General Theory of Law and State, A. Wedberg, trans., New York: Russell & Russell.|
Other relevant publications in English include What is Justice?, UC Berkeley Press, 1957, ‘The Pure Theory of Law and Analytical Jurisprudence’, 55 Harvard L. Rev. (1941), 44, ‘Professor Stone and the Pure Theory of Law: A Reply’, (1965), 17 Stanford L. Rev. 1128, and ‘On the Pure Theory of Law’ (1966), 1 Israel L. Rev. 1.
For a complete list of Kelsen’s publications that have appeared in English see the Appendix to H. Kelsen, General Theory of Norms (M. Hartney trans.) Oxford, 1991, pp. 440–454.
- Green, S.M., 2016, “Marmor’s Kelsen”, in D.A. Jeremy Telman (ed.) Hans Kelsen in America. Springer Verlag. (Scholar)
- Harris, J.W., 1980, Legal Philosophies, chapter 6, London: Butterworths. (Scholar)
- Hart, H.L.A., 1961, The Concept of Law, chapter 3, Oxford: Clarendon Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 1970, “Kelsen’s Doctrine of the Unity of Law”, in H.E. Kiefer and M.K. Munitz (eds), Ethics and Social Justice, pp. 171–199, New York: State University of New York Press. (Scholar)
- Marmor, A., 2001, Objective Law and Positive Values, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- –––, forthcoming, Philosophy of Law, The Princeton Series in the Foundations of Contemporary Philosophy (S. Soames ed.), Chapter 1, Princeton: Princeton University Press. (Scholar)
- Paulson, S., 2002, Introduction to Kelsen’s Introduction to the Problems of Legal Theory, p. xvii, Oxford: Clarendon Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 2012. “A ‘Justified Normativity’ Thesis in Hans Kelsen’s Pure Theory of Law? Rejoinders to Robert Alexy and Joseph Raz”. In Matthias Klatt (ed.), Institutionalized Reason: The Jurisprudence of Robert Alexy, pp. 61–111. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- –––, 2013. “The Great Puzzle: Kelsen’s Basic Norm”. In Luis Duarte d’Almeida, John Gardner, and Leslie Green (eds.), Kelsen Revisited: New Essays on the Pure Theory of Law, pp. 43–62. Oxford: Hart Publishing. (Scholar)
- Raz, J., 1980, The Concept of a Legal System, (2nd ed.) Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- –––, 1979, ‘Kelsen’s Theory of the Basic Norm’ in Raz, The Authority of Law, pp. 122–145, Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Scholar)
- Tur, R.H. & Twining, W. (eds), 1986, Essays on Kelsen, Oxford: Clarendon Press. (Scholar)