Linked bibliography for the SEP article "Roderick Chisholm" by Richard Feldman and Fred Feldman
This is an automatically generated and experimental page
If everything goes well, this page should display the bibliography of the aforementioned article as it appears in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but with links added to PhilPapers records and Google Scholar for your convenience. Some bibliographies are not going to be represented correctly or fully up to date. In general, bibliographies of recent works are going to be much better linked than bibliographies of primary literature and older works. Entries with PhilPapers records have links on their titles. A green link indicates that the item is available online at least partially.
This experiment has been authorized by the editors of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The original article and bibliography can be found here.
Cited Books by Chisholm
||Perceiving: A Philosophical Study, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1957
||Theory of knowledge, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1st edition, 1966; 2nd edition, 1977 [TK2]; 3rd edition 1989 [TK3].
||Person and Object: A Metaphysical Study, La Salle, IL: Open Court, 1976.
||The First Person: An Essay on Reference and Intentionality, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1981.
||The Foundations of Knowing, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1982.
||Brentano and Intrinsic Value, Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1986.
||On Metaphysics, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1989.
||A Realistic Theory of Categories: An Essay on Ontology, Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1996.
Cited Articles by Chisholm
- 1942, “The Problem of the Speckled Hen,” Mind 51(204): 368–373. (Scholar)
- 1955–6, “Sentences about Believing,” Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 56: 125–148. (Scholar)
- 1963, “Contrary-to-Duty Imperatives and Deontic Logic,” Analysis, 24: 33–36. (Scholar)
- 1964, “The Ethics of Requirement,” American Philosophical Quarterly, 1: 147–153. (Scholar)
- 1966, “Freedom and Action,” in Freedom and Determinism, K. Lehrer (ed.), New York: Random House, pp. 11–44; reprinted in Myles Brand (ed.), The Nature of Human Action, Glenview, IL: Scott Foresman and Company, 1970, pp. 283–292. (Scholar)
- 1967a, “He Could Have Done Otherwise,” Journal of Philosophy, 4: 409–417; reprinted in Myles Brand (ed.), The Nature of Human Action, Glenview, IL: Scott Foresman and Company, 1970, pp. 293–301. (Scholar)
- 1967b, “Identity through Possible Worlds: Some Questions,’ Noûs, 1(1): 1–8. (Scholar)
- 1967c, “Intentionality,” The Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Volume 5), Paul Edwards (ed.), London: Macmillan, pp. 201–4. (Scholar)
- 1968, “The Defeat of Good and Evil,”, Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association, 42: 21–38. (Scholar)
- 1970, “Events and Propositions,” Noûs, 4: 15–24. (Scholar)
- 1971, “States of Affairs Again,” Noûs, 5: 179–189. (Scholar)
- 1973, “Parts as Essential to Their Wholes,” Review of Metaphysics, 26: 581–603. (Scholar)
- 1974, “Practical Reason and the Logic of Requirement,” in S. Korner (ed.), Practical Reason, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, pp. 1–17. (Scholar)
- 1978, “Is There a Mind-Body Problem?,” Philosophical Exchange, 2: 24–34. (Scholar)
- 1986, “Self-Profile,” in [RMCp], pp. 3–77. (Scholar)
- 1990, “Events without Times: An Essay in Ontology,” Noûs, 24: 413–428. (Scholar)
- 1991, “On the Simplicity of the Soul,” Philosophical Perspectives, 5: 157–81. (Scholar)
- 1996, “Persons and Their Bodies: Some Unanswered Questions,” in [RTC], pp. 99–105.
||Analysis and Metaphysics (Philosophical Studies Series in Philosophy: Volume 4), Keith Lehrer (ed.), Dordrecht: D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1975.
||Roderick M. Chisholm (Profiles: Volume 7), Radu J. Bogdan (ed.), Dordrecht: D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1986.
||Essays on the Philosophy of Roderick M. Chisholm, Ernest Sosa (ed.), Amsterdam: Grazer Philosophische Studien, (Volumes 7-8) 1979.
||The Philosophy of Roderick M. Chisholm (The Library of Living Philosophers: Volume 25), Lewis Edwin Hahn (ed.), Chicago, La Salle: Open Court, 1997.
Cited Secondary Literature
- Brandl, J., 1997, “Recurrent Problems — On Chisholm’s Two Theories of Events,” in [LLP], pp. 457–477. (Scholar)
- Brentano, F., 1874, Psychology from an Empirical Standpoint, translated by A.C. Rancurello, D.B. Terrell, and L. McAlister, London: Routledge, 1973. (Scholar)
- Chandler, H., 1966, “Essence and Accident,” Analysis, 26: 185–188. (Scholar)
- Davidson, D., 1970, “Events as Particulars,” Noûs, 4(1): 25–32. (Scholar)
- Foley, R., 1997, “Chisholm’s Epistemic Principles,” in [LLP], pp. 241–264. (Scholar)
- Forbes, G., 1984, “Two Solutions to Chisholm’s Paradox,” Philosophical Studies, 46: 171–187. (Scholar)
- Heidelberger, H., 1969, “Chisholm’s Epistemic Principles,” Noûs, 3(1): 73–82. (Scholar)
- Kim, J., 1979, “States of Affairs, Events, and Propositions,” in [EPRMC], pp. 147–162. (Scholar)
- Kim, Jaegwon, 2003, “Chisholm’s Legacy on Intentionality,” Metaphilosophy (Special Issue: The Philosophical Legacy of Roderick Chisholm), 34(5): 649–662. (Scholar)
- Lewis, D., 1986, On the Plurality of Worlds, Oxford: Blackwell. (Scholar)
- Mackie, P., 2008, “Transworld Identity,” The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Fall 2008 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = <https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2008/entries/identity-transworld/>. (Scholar)
- Marsoobian, Armen T. (ed.), 2003, Metaphilosophy (Special Issue: The Philosophical Legacy of Roderick M. Chisholm), 34(5). [Note: This special issue includes an introduction by Armen T. Marsoobian along with papers by Alfred R. Mele, Mark Kaplan, Richard Feldman, Jaegwon Kim, Hilary Kornblith, Ernest Sosa, and Keith Lehrer.] (Scholar)
- Quinn, P., 1997, “Tiny Selves: Chisholm on the Simplicity of the Soul,” in [LLP], pp. 56–66. (Scholar)
- Salmon, N., 1996, “Trans-world Identification and Stipulation,” Philosophical Studies, 84(2): 203–223. (Scholar)
- Sanford, D., 1997, “Chisholm on Brentano’s Thesis,” in [LLP], pp. 201–214. (Scholar)
- Sosa, E., 1997, “Chisholm’s Epistemology and Epistemic Internalism,” in [LLP], pp. 267–287. (Scholar)
- Taylor, R., 1975, “A Tribute,” in [A&M], pp. 1–8. (Scholar)
- Zimmerman, D., 1997, “Chisholm and the Essences of Events,” in [LLP], pp. 73–93. (Scholar)