Back   

2013-01-11
Kant, the right of the stranger
In the article "Towards Perpetual Peace" Kant articulates several articles that would lead us to a state of peace. The third of the definitive articles is the article: Cosmopolitan Right shall be limited to Conditions of Universal Hospitality.

Kant states that "hospitality means the right of a stranger not to be treated with hostility when he arrives on someone else's territory"(PP).However, at the beginning of the part on the Three Definitive Principles of a Perpetual Peace, Kant argues that any one who is not under a civil constitution can be treated as a stranger, because his/her unlawful status is a "permanent threat" to me (PP). These two claims seem to contradict each other.

According to me there are two possibilities:

1) The right of a stranger only applies to strangers who are under a civil constitution, i.e. citizens of a state. This, however, already qualifies the stranger, and the stranger ceases to be a total stranger. In the treatment of the third article, Kant however does qualify the stranger.

2) The right of the stranger applies to all inhabitants of the world, on the basis of the equality of their claims to the surface of the earth.

One can find evidence for both claims in the article on perpetual peace.

My question is whether we should take the right of the stranger to be something that only applies to someone under a civil constitution or that the right of the stranger belongs to people we do not have existing relations with and thus do not form a "permanent threat" to us.

2013-07-12
Kant, the right of the stranger
I believe what Kant means is that the individual's ethics or critique of judgment is founded in that of the State which he represents (on foreign soil). So he can explain his actions when provided the opportunity to justify them. The stranger ceases to be a total stranger, not until independent confirmation can verify and cannot falsify any needed explanation for perceivably hostile action. In other words, the right of the stranger applies under a civil constitution that is reducible to his own communicable understanding. Regards, Ron dW.